896: View -> Refresh (also CTRL+R) does not work

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
dsperber

896: View -> Refresh (also CTRL+R) does not work

#1 Post by dsperber » 24.10.2023, 00:44

==> Seems only the toolbar button for "Refresh" triggers the correct refresh of TREE pane.

(1) I did an UNZIP of a zip file using WINRAR, creating a new folder (that did not exist previously) with the name of the zip file. New folder shows properly in the DETAILS pane on the right but there is no automatic refresh in the TREE pane on the left.

(2) I then wanted to manually force a REFRESH of the TREE pane on the left. I do have a toolbar button set for that function but in this case I was "teaching" someone about FCXE and decided to first show that the VIEW menu also provided a "REFRESH" item way to accomplish this. Unfortunately, using the VIEW -> REFRESH (and also CTRL+R) failed to do anything. Seemed to be ignored.

(3) I had to eventually click on the toolbar button for REFRESH, and that worked perfectly.

(4) NOTE: when I DELETE and item in the DETAILS pane, the TREE pane actually IS refreshed automatically, to no longer show the deleted item.

Karol

Re: 896: View -> Refresh (also CTRL+R) does not work

#2 Post by Karol » 24.10.2023, 14:01

There are two refresh commands "Refresh (Ctrl+R)" and "Refresh all (Shift+Ctrl+R)".
From "Define keyboard shortcuts" dialog:
Refresh - Refreshes the content of the active panel
Refresh all - Refreshes the content of all windows

dsperber

#3 Post by dsperber » 25.10.2023, 03:50

Karol wrote: 24.10.2023, 14:01 There are two refresh commands "Refresh (Ctrl+R)" and "Refresh all (Shift+Ctrl+R)".
From "Define keyboard shortcuts" dialog:
Refresh - Refreshes the content of the active panel
Refresh all - Refreshes the content of all windows
I protest.

(1) View menu does not provide anything but REFRESH (CTRL+R). If there is supposed to be a second REFRESH ALL (which I had no prior knowledge of) I submit it should be available on the View menu as well.

(2) When you say "refreshes the content of the active panel", I contend that refers to BOTH the Tree as well as Details "panes". I have my split-screen set for top/bottom so I think of either top or bottom as what you call a "panel", which consists of two of what I call "panes", i.e. Tree and Details. So four "panes" on the screen, two "panels" top/bottom.

Now I had just left-click selected, and then right-click and UNZIPPED, on the ZIP file item in the top details pane. This produced the newly created folder from the unzip. And also so the top panel definitely "had the focus". Unfortunately the unzip process only showed the newly created folder in the details pane, and not also in the Tree pane as would have been appropriate. That's why I wanted to invoked the Refresh function (which I didn't realize there were two flavors of until now), to get the Tree pane to reflect what was appearing in the details pane.

So that is why I then used the View menu -> Refresh, which you say should have refreshed the so-called active panel. Well so do I actually, but by implication I feel that should have refreshed BOTH PANES IN THE ACTIVE PANEL, i.e. also the Tree pane in the top panel... but it did not. Ok, maybe the other non-focus panel technically shouldn't have been refreshed as well since I didn't use REFRESH ALL. And even though there's no need to refresh the details pane since it already is current and accurate, I really wanted to refresh the corresponding Tree pane to correspond since it was not automatically refreshed (as I think it really should be) by the effect of the WinRAR unzipping going on in the details pane. That is what caused the issue in the first place.

==> I feel Refresh (not Refresh All) should absolutely updated both Tree and Details panes, in the active-focus panel.

(3) I don't think it is user-friendly for me to have to click on the Tree pane first to designate that particular pane that I want refreshed when I use the REFRESH function (either by menu, keyboard, or button). I would expect that intuitively, since that panel has the focus so both panes of that panel should get refreshed. I would think REFRESH ALL would update all four panes, of all two panels (each panel with two panes). That would actually at least make intuitive sense to differentiate REFRESH from REFRESH all.

But it makes no sense to first have to click on the Tree pane in order to then have to again click/keyboiard on a REFRESH request just to get Tree to be update. What makes much more sense to me is that both Tree and Details of whichever panel has the focues would get updated from the simple REFRESH. And if you use REFRESH ALL then all four panes get refreshed.

(4) Now that I look closely, it does turn out that the button on my toolbar is actually "REFRESH ALL". I now see that there actually is a second shortuct button I could have used, which is RERESH (that is what is on the View menu). I never noticed that before, and I think that's because that button came on the default FCXE toolbar from installation (I think). I never put it there myself, that I can recall. And I never knew it was REFRESH ALL. I just use it all the time to update all four panes.

So it was only a fluke that I happened to use the View menu and the one-and-only REFRESH that is on the View menu, never even realizing that it was not identical to what turns out to be the REFRESH ALL button on the toolbar!

Bottom line: if there are going to be two separate versions of Refresh (one for whichever panel has the focus, and the other for both panels) I still feel the View menu should therefore offer both of them. And most importantly I really feel the the simple one-panel Refresh should absolutely refresh BOTH PANES IN THAT PANEL!!! The problem is that the Tree pane was not updated automatically when the new folder (or files, etc.) appeared in the details pane as a result of the UNZIP by WinRAR.

dsperber

#4 Post by dsperber » 26.10.2023, 03:18

Well, the lack of response on this one suggests it has been deemed "not a problem".

I protest.

I still feel strongly that the underlying true problem really is that when using WinRAR (or WinZIP, etc.) to expand a ZIP file in the details pane of whichever panel has the focus (i.e. on the right pane of my upper/lower split screen presentation), only the details pane gets updated instantly to correctly reflect the appearance of the just created new folder. I feel strongly that the tree pane (on the left side of that panel) should also be simultaneously updated to show the new folder. I do not feel it should be necessary to then perform a separate manual REFRESH or REFRESH ALL, in order to get that tree pane to accurately show the just created new folder.

Why should the details pane reflect instant update (i.e. "refresh") but not the tree pane as well, since it was a new folder that got created?

But given that this automatic update of the tree pane (to match what is in the details pane when a new folder is born does NOT occur today in the current version of FCXE), I submit that REFRESH should cause the updating of both panes in the panel that has the focus. It seems pointless to have REFRESH update only one pane or the other (i.e. either details or tree, but not both) of the panel that has the focus tand not update both panes.

Yes, I always use the REFRESH ALL button that is on my toolbar, so all panes in all panels get updated from that. And hence I never realized there was a different function called REFRESH that would NOT update the tree pane if I happened to be working in the details pane, thus accomplishing zero. There's nothing to update in the details pane! It's already automatically updated when the unzip created the new folder. It's only the tree pane that is not being updated when the unzip creates the new folder appearing in the details pane.

Well, I've stated my case. I think REFRESH (if used accidentally or intentionally) should update both tree and details pane of the panel that has focus, and not just one or the other. Otherwise I will simply never use it now that I realize it is only REFRESH ALL which gets the desired job done (which is to automatically show the new folder in the tree pane when it gets born and automatically shown in the details pane, from unzip).

horst.epp

#5 Post by horst.epp » 26.10.2023, 12:38

Your comment is not what others may think about.
A default refresh for both sides is a very bad idea
if one of them points to a slow network share
or uses a plugin which needs a lot of time to fill the list.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
Everything Version 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
FreeCommander XE 2024 Build 906 64-bit donor

dsperber

#6 Post by dsperber » 26.10.2023, 13:17

Just to be clear, when I say "both sides" it reflects the fact that my SPLIT SCREEN is an upper/lower split, not a left/right split.

So "left side" means TREE pane, for either the upper or lower half of the screen (which I refer to as a "panel"), or simply the TREE pane for the one-and-only panel if I'm not in split screen mode.

And "right side" means DETAILS pane, which shows the details view of whatever drive/folder is selected in the TREE pane.

So when I say that REFRESH should update "both side", I am talking about both the TREE and DETAILS panes of either the upper or lower panel half of the sreen.

And if you look at my story at the top of this thread, I am clearly showing what happens when I unzip a ZIP file that is appearing in the "right side" DETAILS pane. I right-click on the ZIP file to get the context menu on which WINRAR is an item. And then I navigate over to the UNZIP INTO A NEW FOLDER WHOSE NAME MATCHES THE ZIP FILE NAME, and select it. This expands the ZIP file into a new folder, which instantly appears in the DETAILS pane (on the right). But that new folder does NOT also instantly appear in the corresponding TREE pane (on the left)... which I feel SHOULD HAPPEN! In other words I feel the TREE pane should get an automatic refresh to correspond to what is now appearing in the DETAILS pane, in particular to show the now existing newly created folder.

I am not asking for the UNZIP to automatically refresh the panel in the other half of the split-screen. I am simply asking for the UNZIP to automatically refresh both the DETAILS and TREE panes of that specific panel that has the focus and in which I'm working.

In the following picture, which is the top panel in my split-screen environment, the left pane is the TREE and the right pane is the DETAILS. The ZIP file has just been unzipped, and created the new folder whose name matches the ZIP file name. And this new folder instantly appears (via "automatic refresh" for the details pane) in the DETAILS pane. But it is missing from the TREE pane on the left. THIS IS MY REAL COMPLAINT... that the new folder should simultaneously appear in the TREE pane via "automatic refresh" of the TREE pane as well!

But lacking that design, then at least have the REFRESH function update BOTH the DETAILS and TREE panes for that panel which has the focus. And REFRESH ALL updates ALL PANES, i.e. both DETAILS and TREE panes FOR BOTH UPPER AND LOWER PANELS.

==> I feel the TREE and DETAILS panes SHOULD ALWAYS BE IN SYNC, so that if there is a folder present in the DETAILS pane it should also be present in the TREE pane. This is how things look when you first navigate into a folder on the left (TREE pane). And creating a new folder through UNZIP on a ZIP file on the right (DETAILS pane) should cause BOTH the DETAILS and TREE panes to reflect the birth of that new folder. I actually shouldn't need to invoke REFRESH or REFRESH ALL to see that newly created folder in the relevant TREE pane.