FC 889 exiftool file extensions setting not working

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
rjut

FC 889 exiftool file extensions setting not working

#1 Post by rjut » 18.05.2023, 20:07

In the 'Settings -> View -> Viewer -> Viewer -> MetaData/Exif -> File Extensions' I have entered '.cr3' (without the quotes) but the exif tags are showing for ALL file types that I select.

Started using exiftool because I wanted to see the exif information in the quick viewer and/or viewer. The exif tags I needed to see were not all in the default list of FC.
Installed exiftool as per help file instructions. Placed the exiftool.exe file in a subdir of fc and pointed the path to the file.
Selected to show 'Tag Names'
It then took me quite a while to figure out how to show the exif tag info in the viewers. Finally saw a posting on the forum that you have to use r-click on the filename bar. This could have been explained in the help file.
Now I can see all exif tags including the ones I wanted but now the tag list is very long, over 300 lines. I was expecting that FC would only show a selection of all found tags but instead it showed a list of all tags. The selection would be entered in the FreeCommander.mren.ini file as listed in the help file. But this is maybe only working for multi rename?! Should this not also work for the viewer? Or is this a feature change request maybe.

The main problem is that I wanted this to only work on canon raw .cr3 files but it is showing exif information together with a preview for all file types I select. I tried .html, .doc, .xml, .ini files.
How do I only make it show exif tags for .cr3 files and normal preview for other files? Now I find myself keep switching 'show exiftags' on and off again, also not very pleasant.
FreeCommander XE 2023 Build 894 64-bit donor, Windows 11 Pro 22H2

rjut

Re: FC 889 exiftool file extensions setting not working

#2 Post by rjut » 18.05.2023, 20:13

PS also tested this with the /newini option and this gave me the same results.

rjut

#3 Post by rjut » 24.06.2023, 09:24

Saw this in the release notes of version 890. This sounded promising...
- Implemented: Viewer settings - extended ability to define the showed exif tags - now per file extension possible
Installed version 891 and had another look.
There is an option to enter file extensions and tag names. This is just what I needed.
Could enter a file extension like *.jpg but no way I could enter a tag?! The tag field is uneditable for me ... frustrating.
Tried it with a clean NEWINI option and same problem. Can only enter a file extension and not a tag.
Also noticed that the entered file extension or extensions were gone after closing and reopening Freecommander. The file extension field would show the default * again.
So to me it seems this is not working like it should. :x

Marek
Author
Author

#4 Post by Marek » 26.06.2023, 16:05

For selecting the tags you need to select (with the last right button) any file with the extension you have defined in the first column.
From the file you can choice the tags you want see.
The defined line is preserved if the extension and any tags are defined.

rjut

#5 Post by rjut » 29.06.2023, 20:21

Thanks Marek, I could now enter an extension and select tags after selecting the file. I hope this instruction makes it to the user manual because it is not something you would easily come up with. Installed version 891 but still not working as expected.

I have defined .jpg as extension and selected only ' model' as the tag.

When I select a .jpg file it shows a list of ALL tags in the file, so not only ' model' . What is worse the list is NOT refreshed if I select another file. I also have difficulty getting the exif info to display. I cannot reproduce it properly but mostly when I right click on the image and select 'Show exif/metadata' it does not show the data. After right clicking again the checkmarks appears not to be set at all?! Only after repeatedly go to settings / close & re-open FC etc I can get it to work, but only once. It only shows exif info of the very first file ever selected and that info remains in the viewer info even after selecting other files.

I had also setup the status bar to show some exif data. I did this already some time ago. This is always showing the meta data of the file selected while the exif info in the viewer remains only of the first file selected.

For the moment I am giving up on this. Thought it would be a handy tool to see some metadata in the viewer of my pictures.
I would expect that ONLY the tags selected for a file would show up in the viewer.

Marek
Author
Author

#6 Post by Marek » 29.06.2023, 22:46

Unfortunately, you are right. Once the line with specific tags is defined, the view of the tags does not work.
I will fix it for the next release.

Marek
Author
Author

#7 Post by Marek » 01.07.2023, 19:54

I checked it again.
It works properly if the extensions list in the "File extensions" column ends with ".".
If you define the line for JPG, the column "File extensions" should be defined as: .jpg.
".jpg" does not work (bug) and *.jpg is not allowed here.