FileContainer feature issues

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
Forez

FileContainer feature issues

#1 Post by Forez » 15.05.2023, 17:05

#1] When selecting multiple FCC files from

C:\PORTABLES\FreeCommander\Settings\FileContainers

and executing on them simultaneous bulk opening by using

Folder > Open focused/selected

[or any other method] then none of them is opened - but instead of this the

is opened [be it in the same Panel or in opposite one and in a new Tab]

#2] Navigating back from a FileContainer requires repeated [i.e. 2 instead of 1] clicks with Backward Mouse Button

#3] Navigating back from a FileContainer is impossible with the Backspace key

#4] When exploring long enough FCC files, opening and closing Tabs with them in both Panels, sometimes when navigating back to

instead of this path what will be loaded up to a Tab is a path from the opposite Panel [which path from opposite Panel has not been eve present in Panel with

In others words: certain amount of mangling FCC files / FileContainer feature will somehow overwrite / overlap history of Tab with FileContainers folder with history of Tabs used for opening in them those FCC files. This might or might not be true only for "importing" history from a locked Tab - I just do not know the exact triggers for this one

#6] If this feature allows for adding of both files and folders to a virtual folder, then why is it not called Item Container but merely File Container?

This current name could be misleading for new users

#7] Apparently currently if an item is in a File Container and user changes its name within a File Container then its name changes also in its real / original location. But when a user does the same outside of a File Container then such item disappears from it on the account of a name "mismatch"

This should not be like so- items should stay in File Containers until they are deleted from the system [or removed from a given File Container by conscious choice by the user]; because it is counterproductive

For example: user spends mines on adding to a File Container a bunch of items from multiple locations for the purpose of using on them Multi Rename tool and then batch renames them - but as a result is left with an empty File Container and with no way of seeing those items [other than executing Undo before closing the Multi Rename window]

#8] The "Save the content of the container as file" sub-feature available as an icon for the Address Bar when displaying content of a File Container seems to be redundant

If user is looking on items "stored" in a File Container then an FCC file already exists. So what is the point of creating another one with the exact same items in it? To have the ability to name it differently? If yes, then actual re-naming is possible by going up on folder and just adjusting the filename of a particular FCC file - and this sub-feature should be renamed from "Save the content of the container as file" to just "Rename this container" and have its ability changed to just that [of renaming the filename of File Container user happens to be]

But it would be better if instead of this redundancy users would be given a sub-feature self-explanatory named "Save the selected content of this container to a new one", as apparently currently this is only possible by opening of a new File Container in another Tab and then manually dragging or coping to it selected items from the Tab containing the source File Container

#9] All FCC files are exempted from navigating through history

I do see FCC files on the list of past locations when are click an empty area of the Address Bar and I am able to left click them thus re-visit them - however I cannot navigate to them using mouse side buttons, as apparently they are always skipped
Last edited by Forez on 20.06.2023, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

Forez

Re: FileContainer feature issues

#2 Post by Forez » 20.06.2023, 11:00

After adding yet another new remark / point I have reworked this whole topic into the initial post

And if anyone is interested in further improving of the File Container feature, then there is also this thead: https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13481