FreeCommander Versions and Future

Discussion, questions and support.
BGM

FreeCommander Versions and Future

#1 Post by BGM » 31.07.2011, 17:05

Hello, y'all! I use FreeCommander as my choice file browser. I have not migrated to FreeCommander XE because it doesn't seem to allow the creation of buttons that run custom run commands, like the old FC 2009b. Thus, I am still using the old version. If FC XE would let me make custom commands, I would switch. I have thought of Q-Dir as well, for it is very nice, but doesn't allow custom toolbars.

Is this FC 2009b going to be updated again, or is all the future of FreeCommander with FC XE?

Is FC XE going to be able to have custom buttons like the old FC?

Thanks, Marek, for all of your work. If I had any money I would give it to you.

-BGM
(Windows 10-1909 Professional 64bit)

Marek
Author
Author

Re: FreeCommander Versions and Future

#2 Post by Marek » 31.07.2011, 22:57

Is this FC 2009b going to be updated again, or is all the future of FreeCommander with FC XE?
I have now no plans for updates of FC 2009.02. The future of FC is XE.
Is FC XE going to be able to have custom buttons like the old FC?
You mean Extras->Favorite tools->Favorite tools edit (Shift+Ctrl+Y)?

BGM

#3 Post by BGM » 31.07.2011, 23:53

Marek, I mean custom buttons, like making a folder that opens a particular path, or a button that will run a RUN command. I have taken to making buttons in FC that will run batch files and powerpro and autohotkey scripts. I don't see that it is possible in XE. I go to "customize toolbar", choose my toolbar and look through the Commands. Sure, there are the built in ones, but I don't see a "generic" command like in old FC. There is no * item where I get to pick the command and icon. I have version 0.0.0.520 Public View.

ralfso

#4 Post by ralfso » 01.08.2011, 09:14

FreeCommander XE is a preview version and not feature complete (http://www.freecommander.com/fc_beta_en.htm).
On this site you'll find public FreeCommander XE (release 532).

I don't know if it was implemented in build 520, have you tried Extras->Favorite tools->Favorite tools edit (Shift+Ctrl+Y)?
"Favorite tools" are available in FC XE release 532).

This is a screenshot of the favorite toolbars dialog in release 546.

Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

BGM

#5 Post by BGM » 01.08.2011, 18:07

Well, you led me onto something. I tried that new 532 version. I had done this: right-click on toolbar / customize action toolbar and then creating toolbars and choosing commands. But in this panel you can't choose anything custom. HOWEVER, after y'all told me (I am hard-headed) about the hotkey, I tried the hotkey without any panels open and I got a custom toolbar editor - just like y'all said! I didn't realize there were two separate panels.

Now, the old FC let me mix and match FC commands and custom commands in the same toolbar. In this version it seems that there are two separate areas and the toolbars are separate too. Now, I REALLY liked having both FC's integrated commands together on the same toolbar as my own custom commands.

Is this possible?

Marek, although I don't have any money (I am a Catholic Religious Brother, and so have a vow of poverty; and my superior will only purchase certain things for me...), I can volunteer to help do beta testing. I do all the IT work here at the district office for our order, and I have written programs in vb.net, BCX, autohotkey and powerpro. If you would admit me to your beta team, I would make nice reports for you.