Column Profile for This PC root folder issues and updates propositions

Bugs and issues.
Forez

Column Profile for This PC root folder issues and updates propositions

#1 Post by Forez » 29.10.2023, 14:36

All I want to achieve is to always see the Column of Percent Full to my This PC root system "folder" when using the Detailed View mode

Unfortunately after turning it on it seems that despite using then either

Column profiles > Add current column profile...

or

Column profiles > Add current column profile specific to folder...

[available after right clicking a Headers of any Columns] and entering a name for it and then accepting it nothing gets added / saved, despite doing this multiple times; so it seemed

Because after repeating tests and some overall mingling all of those Profiles [with different names] suddenly appeared in the Columns profiles/automatic views window upon my umpteenth entering to it

And also apparently there is a glitch in regards to positioning this Column as the first one- I can do it and its position do get remembered. But sometimes when I switch to some other Tab and then go back to the one still showing This PC what I get is not only re-arranged order of Columns but also their selection i.e. I either no more have the Percent Full and / or I now have some other Columns that I had not utilized before going away from this Tab

This bug does not manifest itself always- but it seems I can induce it when I lock This PC folder as the first Tab [i.e. on the left edge in the row with Tabs]

All in all I would suggest adding this very helpful Percent Full info as a fifth [or even better on the third one] default Column in This PC - and also turning on the Detailed View for it. The reasoning behind this that people are using more and more of SSD drives- which are not supposed to be filled more than 75-90% in order to preserve their health

And come to think about this: if by default there is the Column of Type turned on within This PC then why not add to it also a new Column named lets say Type Hardware or Disk Type? Or maybe expanding the already existing Column of Type to contain also this hardware piece of info i.e. showing Local Drive - SSD or Local Drive - HDD instead of just ambiguous system based info of Local Drive?

I am using Build 896 64-bit Donor Portable
Last edited by Forez on 04.01.2024, 12:32, edited 5 times in total.

tuvix

Re: Column Profile for This PC issues and updates propositions

#2 Post by tuvix » 23.11.2023, 15:02

I also struggle with the setting of a custom column profile for This PC.
It just doesn't work: it's not always automatically activated and columns like Space used are just empty.

Also where did you find the property Percent Full? When I'm looking into the list of columns to add into a profile, there is no Percent Full.

Forez

#3 Post by Forez » 27.11.2023, 17:11

tuvix wrote: 23.11.2023, 15:02 [...]
where did you find the property Percent Full? When I'm looking into the list of columns to add into a profile, there is no Percent Full.
This Percent Full is only available for adding to Detailed View when the Tab that I am adjusting already displays the This PC

And maybe that is the answer to the root cause of this bug? That Percent Full disappears not only from the Tab itself when I navigate anywhere else but also from the list of available Columns shown within the Choose Details window - i.e. that lack of Percent Full in Choose Details might be acting as as this uwanted resetting trigger

tuvix

#4 Post by tuvix » 01.12.2023, 21:16

I think I've made it working eventually (at least when using the toolbar icon My Computer to access This PC).

My steps:
1. Add the toolbar icon My Computer and click on it (it will invoke the This PC location).
2. Now right click the columns bar, select Add/remove columns... and add what you like (eg. File System and Percent Full).
3. Go to Profile settings > Add current column profile specific to folder.
4. Now you can go to Profile settings and customize the width of columns, etc.

Notes:
- The created column profile has Condition `<csidl>17`, which probably corresponds to This PC location?
- The created column profile is not applied after restarting FC. You always need to click the toolbar icon My Computer to apply the customized column profile.

Forez

#5 Post by Forez » 28.12.2023, 15:47

I do not know how you manage to add precisely the My Computer shortcut to your Favorite toolbar [as I would just add a new one and write ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} as its Program or folder]; but I after another set of tests, this time on version 900 x64, I achieved the ability to see what I want to see [i.e. the Column of Percent Full always in the same place and in pre-selected width] whenever I press Detailed View icon that I keep on my Splitter

I simply navigated to This PC root folder, set its Columns as I needed them to be and then chose

and then also went to

Column profiles > Profile settings... > Auto selectable views

where I added a new View and chose for its Column profile the newly added one

But nevertheless I still have to manually press that Detailed View mode in order for that Column profile to be applied whenever I navigate to it which is inconvenient; and also I cannot have the

Column profiles > Profile settings... > Auto selectable views > Switch view mode automatically on folder change

option selected in order for this approach to work

All in all it works but not automatically - unless I happen to start my navigating process to This PC folder with already applied Detailed View mode, because then it is automated

And so my question would be: how to force FreeCommander to automatically switch to Detailed View mode whenever a Tab starts displaying This PC [and then returns to previous mode of viewing items when I navigate somewhere else within that Tab]

Karol

#6 Post by Karol » 02.01.2024, 17:16

Remove from "Auto selectable views" item you have self created for "This PC".
After you have made:
I simply navigated to This PC root folder, set its Columns as I needed them to be and then chose

with Shift+F1 call the popup menu with view items for the active panel.
Select "Automatic views - Add current view specific to folder".
If automatic views are enabled and you open "This PC" the detailed view should be shown automatically.

Forez

#7 Post by Forez » 04.01.2024, 11:07

This works, thank you. But I do need to select now the

Column profiles > Profile settings... > Auto selectable views > Switch view mode automatically on folder change

option. [I have used this also as a solution to this https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... 352#p40370 issue]

But there are 3 issues I spotted: https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13727

Forez

#8 Post by Forez » 04.01.2024, 12:26

And despite having resolved the main issue, I nevertheless would like to point everybody's attention to my initial propositions:
Forez wrote: 29.10.2023, 14:36 [...]
All in all I would suggest adding this very helpful Percent Full info as a fifth [or even better on the third one] default Column in This PC - and also turning on the Detailed View for it. The reasoning behind this that people are using more and more of SSD drives- which are not supposed to be filled more than 75-90% in order to preserve their health

And come to think about this: if by default there is the Column of Type turned on within This PC then why not add to it also a new Column named lets say Type Hardware or Disk Type? Or maybe expanding the already existing Column of Type to contain also this hardware piece of info i.e. showing Local Drive - SSD or Local Drive - HDD instead of just ambiguous system based info of Local Drive?
[...]