Indicating folders containing zero items with an icon chosen by user

Suggestions and feature requests.
Forez

Indicating folders containing zero items with an icon chosen by user

#1 Post by Forez » 11.09.2023, 09:48

I propose adding an option that would allow a user to choose an icon that would be shown by FC for any folder that has zero items in it. This would speed workflow by not forcing users to manually explore folders and / or use Detailed View with proper Columns and / or option of counting of size of folders being turned on

Info about which folders are empty could be stored in a INI file, so that FreeCommander would not have to check status of all of them if a users enters a folder that has thousands of folders stored on a huge, slow and fragmented HDD

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Indicating folders containing zero items with an icon chosen by user

#2 Post by Dreamer » 11.09.2023, 18:26

It's not so easy, ini would not work, if the items would be created or deleted by another program, so FC must always re-check it.

Different folder icon would be nice, workaround exist already, using any thumbnails view, Thumbnails list, Thumbnail details, Thumbnail labels, with the thumbnail size 48 it's like using large icons.

In these view modes - and in Details view mode it's possible to show the number of items or/and folder size.

Forez

#3 Post by Forez » 12.09.2023, 10:59

So as already
Dreamer wrote: 11.09.2023, 18:26 [...]
it's possible to show the number of items or/and folder size.
what would need to be implemented is an option to show this info to user using an icon, so that it would be shown in every kind of viewing mode / element of FC. [I myself cannot incorporate those methods as 99.9% of time use the ordinary List viewing mode and for my very quick purposes having to switch to other ones would beat the purpose i.e. it would not be fast / convenient enough]

As for keeping an INI / database file, I think you are unfortunately right. But at least this issue of updating this info on the spot [i.e. only when exploring a given path] will diminish as more people will get faster and faster drives

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 18.09.2023, 13:43

A long time ago I have changed on my system the default icon for a folder by using a Registry hack but also suggested adding such option to FreeCommander for ease of use / change [https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... 7361#p2768]. Both of my propositions would complement each other if they were to become implemented