Suggestions and feature requests.
Dreamer
Site Admin

Save state / session

#1 Post by Dreamer » 05.08.2023, 17:50

This option / feature would be an opposite to this suggested option:

Reset state option - FreeCommander Forum

This reason from the other suggestion is valid for this one too:
Dreamer wrote: 09.04.2023, 15:31One of the reasons for this option is the situation / issue, that I have a path A in tab 1 with thousands of files, I go to subfolder B with just few subfolders and few files, I use plain view for this subfolder, switch to tab 2, exit FC, re-start FC, switch to tab 1 - now the plain view is still enabled, but the path is changed to locked path A with thousands of files, so it starts with loading thumbnails and metadata information.
Currently, some options, paths are saved on FC exit and some are not, so if I have to exit FC or restart PC, turn off PC, it's impossible to "save the active state once only".

One workaround would be to manually change the locked path for all tabs, but I'd lose the "basic" locked paths, so I'd have to remember those paths, which is impossible.

Another workaround, I could create duplicate tabs for all changed paths and lock those paths, but I'd have to scroll the tab bar to switch tabs, which would be slow, and I'd have to close those duplicate tabs later, one by one, manually.

My suggestions:
- Option "Save the active state on FC exit" in the Settings

In this case, if this option would be enabled, the other option
Reset state option would be needed, to reset everything, if needed.

- (or/and) "Save the active state and exit FC" toolbar button and keyboard shortcut

With this option it would be possible to save state (including actual tabs and paths, for once) and exit FC without confirmation (even if the option is enabled for normal exit mode), so it would be possible to continue as if the FC would not be closed. Standard Exit would exit FC without saving the actual paths.

It should work also with layouts.

Save state option could preserve also "lock view", actual sorting per tab, active tab for both panels, if possible.

I think, that in both modes - "standard exit" and "save state and exit", some options should be changed:
- for "standard exit" it should work as "reset state", so close all not locked tabs, reset paths for locked tabs, disable special modes like plain view, quick filter, selected only, "lock view", etc.
- for "save state and exit" everything should be saved, as if the FC would not be closed at all

Thanks to this feature it would be possible to use less tabs, because we could use actual locked tabs with different paths for the "next session", if needed - and reset state - revert paths for locked tabs to previous paths, so it would be like 2 in 1.

It looks quite complex, but the basic option is just "temporary save actual paths for locked tabs, while still remember previous locked paths", so if the FC is closed, last used tabs and paths would be opened, but after using option "Go to locked path", it would revert path to that previously used paths, so 2 paths would be in the ini file, locked and actual.
+ With the other option Reset state option paths for all tabs would be changed to previous (as if "Go to locked path" option would be used manually for all tabs).