Enter key with mouse-selected files = incorrect behavior

Bugs and issues.
sfgs97

Enter key with mouse-selected files = incorrect behavior

#1 Post by sfgs97 » 15.05.2023, 19:35

FreeCommanderPortable_2023_Build_880
Windows 10 22H2 64bit

Steps to reproduce:
1) Select file(s) by holding down left mouse button and dragging selection rectangle to highlight them.
2) Press enter key (either the main keyboard one or the numpad one; doesn't matter).

Result:
FreeCommander takes you back to the previous directory. This is contrary to the behavior of Windows Explorer and alternate file explorers I have tried which, as expected, open the selected files.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Enter key with mouse-selected files = incorrect behavior

#2 Post by Dreamer » 15.05.2023, 20:25

I can reproduce it, if the cursor is on the item [..] before selecting.

I can't reproduce it, if the cursor is over one of selected files.

I think it's not a bug, if the item [..] is focused, and other files are selected, go up is a correct behavior.

sfgs97

#3 Post by sfgs97 » 15.05.2023, 20:46

I understand what you're saying; however, it is definitely contrary to the behavior demonstrated by every other file manager/explorer I have tried. Based on that, as well as common experience, I think most users would expect that if they select file(s) in this manner and press the enter key then those files they just selected would be opened. Indeed, it is what was expected to happen by everyone else I have shown this scenario and they were surprised when it resulted in going to the previous folder instead.

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 17.05.2023, 22:28

sfgs97 wrote: 15.05.2023, 20:46 [...]
I think most users would expect that if they select file(s) in this manner and press the enter key then those files they just selected would be opened
[...]
surprised when it resulted in going to the previous folder instead.
And I always thought it was some tweak I have done to my system, thus never bothered to report it as a bug

Being navigated after pressing Enter key instead of opening of selected items is both illogical and user-unfriendly in my opinion

ralfso

#5 Post by ralfso » 18.05.2023, 09:28

What are you expecting if you select the "go to parent folder" symbol and pressing enter?

If you don't like the behaviour, you can deactivate the "go to parent folder" symbol in the file pane.

https://freecommander.com/fchelpxe/en/General.html
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

Forez

#6 Post by Forez » 20.05.2023, 13:24

ralfso wrote: 18.05.2023, 09:28 [...]
If you don't like the behavior, you can deactivate the "go to parent folder" symbol in the file pane.

https://freecommander.com/fchelpxe/en/General.html
As it should, this deactivates / hides the

Code: Select all

line - but it does not make it possible to successfully execute Enter on a selection of more than one file. And that is something like a half-workaround

But as I like the idea of being able to choose to gain an extra horizontal like for an item to be shown in Panels at the cost of seeing >>..<< no more, hence I propose adding option

Tools > Settings > View > File/folder list > General > Show parent folder ".." - but allow or executing of multiple files when pressing Enter

or just making the already existing option

Tools > Settings > View > File/folder list > General > By ENTER > Open all selected items directly (not recommended)

really work - because me switching to it from

Tools > Settings > View > File/folder list > General > By ENTER > Open only focused item

have not changed the behavior of my FreeCommander [which is Build 889 64-bit Donor Portable]

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 20.05.2023, 13:59

sfgs97 wrote: 15.05.2023, 19:35This is contrary to the behavior of Windows Explorer and alternate file explorers I have tried which, as expected, open the selected files.
Strange, I tried 5 dual panel file managers and they work the same as FreeCommander.

Anyway, in Windows Explorer (Windows 10 22H2), if any files are selected and then focus a folder (use Ctrl+arrow keys, item [..] is missing), selected files are opened instead of opening the folder, which is focused.

I agree, it can be confusing, that items can be both - selected and focused, it's a standard behavior in other file managers and also in Windows Explorer.

I'm not sure what would be better, if it would be the same as in Windows Explorer, it would be impossible to switch folder, path if any item would be selected and it could cause also more problems, because multiple files would be opened, that could be done also by mistake.

Workaround, if you're using this way often, you can define custom programs in Settings - Programs - External viewers, add the command "View external" to any toolbar, e.g. to the Splitter, thanks to this you can select multiple files with mouse and click the "View external" button to open selected files, or you can use keyboard shortcut, which is customizable, by default it's Shift+F3. The same way can be used for Edit operation, so it's possible to open the same file type in 2 different programs, e.g. image viewer / image editor for images. All steps can be done by mouse only, or keyboard only.

Forez

#8 Post by Forez » 20.05.2023, 20:38

Dreamer wrote: 20.05.2023, 13:59 [...]
I'm not sure what would be better
A choice left to user

And with default setting set to mimic the behavior of Windows Explorer, because people fed up with it [and looking for an alternative] should not be overwhelmed with too many changes - while users of other such programs should already know that things like can vary from program to program and it is possible that they are configurable

Dreamer wrote: 20.05.2023, 13:59 Workaround
[...]
Or just select, right click and choose Open from the shell menu

That is how I have dealt with this since I had noticed this annoyance