887: Character input issue (accessibility)

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
Free4all

887: Character input issue (accessibility)

#1 Post by Free4all » 24.04.2023, 00:55

Again, my apologies that this is posted in the public forum and not the donor forum. For some reason, posting new bug reports in the donor forum is not working for me right now. Feel free to move to donor version bugs.

FreeCommander XE 2023 Build 887 64-bit donor: Cannot input characters in 'Search files/folders', 'Multi rename', and 'Quick starter' windows when they are used as shortcuts.

I find it very efficient to assign shortcuts to keys such as backslash and the pipe symbol in FC. For example, try assigning backslash a keyboard shortcut to the Quick Filter... you may find you love it and find using FC even more efficient! :P

This is especially handy for people who have challenges pressing more than one key at a time (accessibility for the disabled).

There is an issue, however, that the text input fields in the 'Search files/folders', 'Multi rename', and 'Quick starter' windows will no longer allow the user to enter those characters. In the latter window, it's not too important, but in the first two windows, it can be quite important.

Forez

Re: 887: Character input issue (accessibility)

#2 Post by Forez » 24.04.2023, 21:03

Free4all wrote: 24.04.2023, 00:55 [...]
This is especially handy for people who have challenges pressing more than one key at a time (accessibility for the disabled).
Yes, you have a valid point

I myself often operate from bed with only mouse and virtual keyboard
Free4all wrote: 24.04.2023, 00:55 There is an issue, however, that the text input fields in the 'Search files/folders', 'Multi rename', and 'Quick starter' windows will no longer allow the user to enter those characters. In the latter window, it's not too important, but in the first two windows, it can be quite important.
Also yes

Making such adjustment work in a persistent way / everywhere is vital

Have you tried using AutoHotkey? With it you easily make such adjustment work overall in FC

Free4all

#3 Post by Free4all » 25.04.2023, 11:09

Forez wrote: 24.04.2023, 21:03
Free4all wrote: 24.04.2023, 00:55 [...]
Yes, you have a valid point

I myself often operate from bed with only mouse and virtual keyboard
Free4all wrote: 24.04.2023, 00:55 There is an issue, however, that the text input fields in the 'Search files/folders', 'Multi rename', and 'Quick starter' windows will no longer allow the user to enter those characters. In the latter window, it's not too important, but in the first two windows, it can be quite important.
Also yes

Making such adjustment work in a persistent way / everywhere is vital

Have you tried using AutoHotkey? With it you easily make such adjustment work overall in FC
Thanks for the confirmation that you experience the issue too, and would also find a bug fix within FreeCommander XE useful.

The answer to your question regarding AHK is a bit long, but I'll try to be succinct. I used AutoIt for many years, and later, AHK too. I currently don't use either primarily because I'm trying to avoid any Windows-only programs. Of course, FCXE is an exception. FCXE is one of the few applications for which I haven't found an equal on Linux. Also, I try to avoid background processes and hooks as much as possible, and thus AHK isn't a great match for my preferences.

That said, I'm interested in learning how you would use AHK to create a workaround for this issue.

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 15.05.2023, 15:52

Well, I have not so far

I have a gazillions fixes and adjustments I want to implement all over my OS. And messing around with AHK has once again felt down to the bottom of my list of things to do, as I am no proficient with it

Sorry for a disappointing answer