Custom sort order of any signs

Suggestions and feature requests.
Forez

Custom sort order of any signs

#1 Post by Forez » 04.04.2023, 22:23

[Coming out from this discussion https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13371]

Under the

Tools > Settings - View - File/folder list - Sorting

users have a choice of the sort order they want to use. Aside from handy additional adjustments like Sort folders always by name or Folders like files the "core" / most profound choice is narrowed down to just 3 ways; which are:
● Alphabetical - string sort
● Alphabetical - word sort
● Natural sorting (as Explorer)

But in e.g. Notepad++ under the

Edit > Line Operations

there is much more options to choose from. And in e.g. Mp3tag users I able to adjust the sort order of any Column - and thus I for example use very needed by me rules of audio file listing like these:

Code: Select all

$replace(%_FILENAME_EXT%,'[',_01,';',_02,'+',_03,'{',_04,'(',_05,'#',_06)
[Unfortunately so many factors as 6 and so many files as I use usually process, which is 25000, makes the sorting annoyingly slow]

All in all there is inconsistent sorting order in two most often used by me file managing programs, see also different rules applied in all those windows of Windows Explorer that I am forced to use on a daily basis whenever I have to save or import some file in any program, plus I also experience different sorting order in Notepad++ and Notepad3

Thus I propose adding to FreeCommander more sorting options - and especially the ability to turn on and off of user defined order of whatever signs a given user wishes to define

So, in n my example on top of all check-boxes I would want to define the same order as I did in Mp3tag. But it should be doable in a much simpler way of just writing in a box

[;+{(#
which, assuming it would not slow greatly process of sorting, I would probably precise as

[];+-{}()#
or even expand to something like

[].;,+-{}()#_'`
and for a better readability I should be allowed to write down as

[ ] . ; , + - { } ( ) # _ '  

[And if you are wondering, just why opening square bracket goes first while round bracket bracket is near end?: it comes out from my own personal nomenclature, or "syntax" if you will, of tiles of songs, which gets me a precise order - which in turn I can use to find mistakes and also easily adjust all of my music with simple scripts; and its matter of visuals mixed with meaning of each of those signs, some of which go beyond tag field of Title and are utilized also in Album and tag fields with various comments / notes]

Forez

Re: Custom sort order of any signs

#2 Post by Forez » 23.04.2023, 13:18

Forez wrote: 04.04.2023, 22:23 [...]
I propose adding to FreeCommander more sorting options - and especially the ability to turn on and off of user defined order of whatever signs a given user wishes to define
[...]
If this is implemented then it would also allow e.g. a Norwegian user who however has English set as the language [and keyboard?] of Windows for seeing Norwegian letter

Å
correctly after letter

Z
because in this nordic alphabet the last letter is this Å and not the non-diacritic Z

This would require however either:

● listing of all letters

● listing of just

Z Å
after special signs, which would automatically mean that it is how the alphabet is to be [partially] affected

● a separate box just for letters - plus a checkbox for selecting options of where in reliance to letters should the special signs be put [i.e. before or after letters] and also a check-box governing where to put all not defined extra signs like

█ ▽ ▶️ 😂 ● ░
[of which writing down in their entirety is an ability far beyond capabilities of any sane person, as there thousands of them]