"Safe Mode" runs itself with default settings [RESOLVED]

Discussion and questions - donor version.
Forez

"Safe Mode" runs itself with default settings [RESOLVED]

#1 Post by Forez » 08.04.2023, 16:59

[Coming out of from this fragment of discussion https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... 770#p40764]

If I understood correctly these instructions https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17], whenever I run LNK with its Target file set to

C:\Portables\FreeCommander\FreeCommander.exe /N /NewIni=%FcSrcPath%\TestSettings\FreeCommander.ini /NoPlugins /Lng=English

[for version Build 887 64-bit donor] or set to

"C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe" /N /NewIni=%FcAppDataPath%\TestSettings\FreeCommander.ini /NoPlugins /Lng=English

[for version Build 880 32-bit public] I should be getting a safe mode of FreeCommander - but nevertheless with all my Favorite Toolbars, my Color Scheme, pinned Tabs etc.?

If yes- then it is not a case on my Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 19042 x64. Because all I get are apparently default settings for everything. [And when I re-run FC normally I get all of my choices back]
Last edited by Forez on 25.05.2023, 22:48, edited 2 times in total.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: "Safe Mode" runs itself with default settings

#2 Post by Dreamer » 08.04.2023, 18:42

It's not a bug, all settings are default in this case, including the favorites, tabs, etc. It's for testing only, your custom settings are preserved, just start FC normally.

This way is not perfect, when using new color schemes, so it's better to preserve default color scheme, or use a portable version.
Dreamer wrote: 27.09.2007, 23:18
  • Try to reproduce a bug with default settings and without plugins.
    You can use one of these possibilities:
    1) Use a portable version, install it to a new folder, e.g. "FreeCommanderTest" (your custom setting files will be preserved).

The "TestSettings" folder should not contain any other FreeCommander*.ini files.
This way you can switch the color schemes, restart FC easier, if needed, create own FC icon for this test version. You can even open standard and test versions side by side, open the settings for both and compare, test...

Just you have to manually update this version and manually delete all files in the Settings folder, if you change some settings and want to test with default again.

Not a bug, moved to Discussion.