Very slow file listing access on Amazon server

Discussion and questions - donor version.
Smiley

Very slow file listing access on Amazon server

#1 Post by Smiley » 04.04.2023, 04:18

At work, I access a folder that has some 15,000 subfolders. For years, up until around November, accessing that folder with FreeCommander was instant. Then I could see the contents and then filter very quickly for the subfolder name I am after.

Our IT department sent a "we're doing something or other between such-and-such times so login will be unavailable" message back in November. Since that time, opening up the top level folder (that has 15,000 subfolders) takes forever to show the contents. Well over a minute I'd say. Maybe two, I haven't timed it. And filtering is now terribly slow as well. Going from a subfolder to the top level folder is just as slow.

Given that I have no control over how we have our work folders arranged, and can't do anything about having 15,000 folders, is there something I can do to FreeCommander to get proper access to that folder again? Unfortunately, I've been relegated to having to use the native File Explorer window to access that folder now, which is god awful. I can't believe that people still use that when they can use FreeCommander for their file operations. And now, sadly, I've had to use that as well.

Forez

Re: Very slow file listing access on Amazon server

#2 Post by Forez » 04.04.2023, 23:32

Smiley wrote: 04.04.2023, 04:18 [...]
I've been relegated to having to use the native File Explorer window to access that folder now, which is god awful. I can't believe that people still use that when they can use FreeCommander for their file operations
[...]
Why do some people keep watching meek series on TV or get their news from some pseudo-journalistic portals, when there are professional services? just few clicks away

Because they are too lazy and / or too stupid or unable in technical terms to change their sources for entertainment or knowledge?

Either way this was just a digression