keep a database like Everything to instantly search files

Suggestions and feature requests.
stephen147

keep a database like Everything to instantly search files

#1 Post by stephen147 » 05.02.2023, 23:05

This would be a big undertaking but it would be amazing to have FC keep its own .db file to instantly search files. Like everything https://www.voidtools.com/.

Couldn't find this suggestion so forgive me if this has been asked for before.
Sceenshots made easy with ShareX.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: keep a database like Everything to instantly search files

#2 Post by Dreamer » 05.02.2023, 23:35

It's probably not the same, but I suggested these:

Universal quick search field for everything - FreeCommander Forum
Quick filter for favorite tools - FreeCommander Forum

I'm using portable programs and I created items in the favorite tools for these programs, just few are in the real toolbar, others (100+) are in the menu list, so I have to click it and find it manually. Just click a single shortcut and type the name would be better.

I already found a workaround for my problem - portable programs in the favorite tools, I created duplicate links on disk, in one folder, I have 1 locked tab just for these links, so I can use quick filter or quick search to find the program quickly. I have also some system links there, from control panel, to access these too. They could be also in subfolders, categories, just need to use Ctrl+B and I can type to search what I need.

I copied these links also to this path:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Links\
Thanks to this I can use the system search for portable programs, just press Win key, type few letters and press Enter.

After reinstallation of Windows I can just copy all portable programs with the settings and the folder with the links and it will be working again, no need to re-install all programs and re-configure them, anyway, this is OT already.

stephen147

Re: keep a database like Everything to instantly search files

#3 Post by stephen147 » 06.02.2023, 01:49

Sounds like power toys run could work for you?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/run

Pity it didn't have a way to index drives other than C:.
Sceenshots made easy with ShareX.