*long* delay when attaching my USB drive

Discussion, questions and support.
ottenm

*long* delay when attaching my USB drive

#1 Post by ottenm » 25.09.2008, 21:10

Any tips on Free Commander semi-hanging for about 60 seconds whenever I plug in my USB drive. For about an eighth of a second, the access light goes on on the drive, and then after that, FC is just dark for just over 1 minute. No reaction to mouse or keyboard, and no further drive activity.

Thanks for any suggestions-

Mike

wkrekik

#2 Post by wkrekik » 26.09.2008, 11:08

Do you notice the same problem when you open the USB drive with Windows Explorer ?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 28.09.2008, 23:58

Good question. Perhaps it's a special software, feature of your USB drive, or the software on your PC is checking/scanning the disk...

Did you try to use another USB drive on your PC, or your USB drive on another PC?

ottenm

#4 Post by ottenm » 09.10.2008, 18:23

Thank you both for your replies and suggestions. I've been trying to pin down what's happening, and still not having any luck.

The problem is intermittent. As soon as I plug a USB drive in (I have tried 3 different drives) sometimes FC hangs for about 60 seconds. Some of those times Windows Explorer is also hung (and frees up at the same time), but some of the time it's only FC. And at other times, I plug the drive in and it is visible and useful within a couple of seconds (no hang).

During the "hang", other apps seem unaffected and nothing is happening in the Task Manager (0%-5% CPU utilization, no processes eating up the CPU).

Have tried various reboots, and have tried opening FC first, then WinExp, or WinExp first, then FC, or open them after attaching the flash drive, .... all with the same results. Intermittently, one or both of the apps seems to hang for about 60 seconds right after USB attach. And never any other time.

Any other suggestions? Or even tips on how to debug it?

wkrekik

#5 Post by wkrekik » 10.10.2008, 10:01

I have had a similar problem. It was specific to Windows XP, and the only solution that works was changing the motherboard :!:
Download Process Explorer and try to identify the process that hangs (in my case I had 100% CPU usage by DPC's)