Change Default Values for Synchronize Directories SHOW area?

Suggestions and feature requests.
Bearded Kirklander

Change Default Values for Synchronize Directories SHOW area?

#1 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 03.09.2008, 19:11

I was using the Synchronize Directories function and realized that the default configuration of what to SHOW didn't give me any actual results, and as a result, I was confused as to whether the function had actually done anything.

Then I remembered that you have to play with the 6 SHOW icons in order to specify what should be shown.

That got me thinking - Would it be beneficial to change what those default values are?

My thought is, that yes, I think it might be, so I wanted to make a feature request.

It seems to me that the Unequal Files button should be depressed by default, because Synchronizing is fundamentally a "find what's different" type of function. So to me, that seemed obvious.

However, I'm not sure which of the other buttons should be depressed as well.

My first thought would be to enable the green and gold Files to copy from left to right (new files) for the left pane, but there is also the simpler green-only Files to copy from left to right option.

In most cases, would it be reasonable to assume that at least one of those two options should be enabled by default?

Carrying that logic further, would the same be true for the Right side of the compare window? That either the blue and gold Files to copy from right to left (new files) or the simpler blue-only Files to copy from right to left should be depressed (enabled) by default?

For me, having the Filter Include field default to *.* and the Unequal files button depressed make the most sense.

But would it be worth considering if any of the other buttons in the SHOW area should be depressed as well?

I'd appreciate any feedback regarding this idea and would hope it might lead to a modification of the default settings so that the functionality of the feature is a bit more obvious to n00bs like me. :)

Thank you

wkrekik

#2 Post by wkrekik » 04.09.2008, 09:53

I was using the Synchronize Directories function and realized that the default configuration of what to SHOW didn't give me any actual results, and as a result, I was confused as to whether the function had actually done anything.
I was, too, confused by this behaviour at first time. So I think that, for first use, all but 'Equal files" should be depressed.

Marek
Author
Author

#3 Post by Marek » 04.09.2008, 23:08

I am agree, only Unequal files should be depressed.

Bearded Kirklander

#4 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 04.09.2008, 23:16

Someone suggested having a default with both green, both blue and Unequal files should be depressed.

I wonder how well that would work for most people? That way you could pretty much see everything that is different, in both directions, right? The user would certainly get a definitive representation each and every time there is a difference between those folders, wouldn't they?

I think it might be better to show a comprehensive results display than to have them come up by default with nothing showing up in terms of results.

This is a pretty great feature, by the way. Thanks. :)