Color for the \ sign in the path bar

Suggestions and feature requests.
Forez

Color for the \ sign in the path bar

#1 Post by Forez » 21.10.2020, 00:48

I wish the path would be more clear to read. Because if I go deep into many folders, especially some technical / system ones, I get a clutter of letters and sometimes signs - thus when I want to go up few steps using the path bar by clicking a certain higher folder I have to read them carefully; thus waste time

So for example instead of

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\DSCResources\MSFT_ServiceResource\en-US

I would like to see

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\DSCResources\MSFT_ServiceResource\en-US

assuming that it would me be who would choose the blue color for those signs; or even maybe someting more advenced like

or even like

This of course should be an option and not a mandatory setting
Last edited by Forez on 08.04.2023, 18:14, edited 2 times in total.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Color for the \ sign in the path bar

#2 Post by Dreamer » 21.10.2020, 21:24

I don't think it looks clearer.

You can move a cursor over the path and the color of whole subfolder is changed.

Perhaps it would be clearer as in Windows Explorer, extra spaces and ">" sign between the subfolders, as alternative option.

Or show 1st subfolder with default color, 2nd with alternate color, 3rd with default, 4th with alternate and so on, similar to Stripe in Details view.

Forez

Re: Color for the \ sign in the path bar

#3 Post by Forez » 10.12.2020, 19:14

Dreamer wrote: 21.10.2020, 21:24 I don't think it looks clearer.
And I think that it is simply a case of finding the right combination of colors. That blue and red from my example on this light grey background [provided by the forum itself] indeed does not look good

But please take a look at a real life simulation of how would my FreeCommander would look like which such option implemented and the very same colors used

How much clearer can you get with a path than this? Using yellow? [Because black and yellow have the highest possible contrast - and that is why many warning signs use them]

Dreamer wrote: 21.10.2020, 21:24 [...]
Or show 1st subfolder with default color, 2nd with alternate color, 3rd with default, 4th with alternate and so on, similar to Stripe in Details view.
I think that this also could be helpful

But that would make a chaos- or maybe with time that would be like something great? Maybe if the colors went like from ruby, through red to pink? But eventually you would run of shades - that is if every shades was suppose to be distinctive from the previous and the next one. and what about the separators then? Leave them in default or color them also?

My proposition seems to be easier to set-up