823: wrong data populating right-shifted columns after F10 (top/bottom split)

Bugs and other issues or requests which have been resolved.
dsperber

823: wrong data populating right-shifted columns after F10 (top/bottom split)

#1 Post by dsperber » 14.07.2020, 18:49

And now here's the second problem, newly born with 823's attempt at fixing the right-shift creep of column dividers in the lower pane from repeated F10 toggles.

With 820-822, repeated toggles via F10 would see the main divider between TREE and DETAILS panes progressively shift further and further right with each pair of F10 toggles. This no longer happens. However there still is an initial right-shift just once of the divider from the first F10. After that, each pair of F10 toggles keeps that main divider in the lower panel right-shifted exactly where it was the first F10... in the wrong place, but no longer progressively shifting further and further to the right with each pair of F10.

Turns out I can actually drag the main divider left, so that the TREE panes in the upper and lower panels now line up vertically. And now when I close and re-open the program sure enough the main divider location has "stuck" just where I placed it. This is how things worked with 8221. But it's not how the very first F10 worked with 823 by default (which saw one increment of right-shift creep), although it now seems to be "locked" properly after I manually corrected the main divider location.

But what is new with 823 is that when F10 is used repeatedly to go from single-panel to dual-panel (in top/bottom mode), the data that populates the columns in the lower panel is incorrect. If I change the selected folder (in the TREE pane) the columns now populate properly. And if I return to the original selected folder the columns again re-populate properly. But if I F10 to single-panel mode and then F10 again to dual-panel mode, once again the wrong data populates the columns for whatever folder is currently selected in the lower TREE when the F10 produces dual-panel mode.

But the right-shift creep now seems gone, as a result of my manual correction left-shift. Once that was done the lower panel TREE no longer grows in width each pair of F10, nor is it at the wrong location as it was when that very first F10 after installing 823 took place.

(1) So, here is the initial state of things, in single-panel mode. I have widened the window so that there is no horizontal scrollbar. These columns are too wide for my liking, but for the purpose of this demonstration I'm not going to touch them (since the new narrower locations are not remembered anyway with 823).

(2) Now I press F10 to get dual-panel mode, top/bottom. Note that the TREE in the lower pane is too wide, i.e. that the main divider has shifted right from where it really should be. It will remain "locked" at this incorrect location indefinitely as I repeatedly toggle F10, and will only change (and remain) at a new left-shifted proper location when I eventually drag it left. Once it's done it will stay there. But the initial F10 with the window widened so that no horizontal scrollbar is presented and with each column width at whatever size FCXE decided to make it... the bottom TREE is initially the wrong size. And consequently while there isn't a horizontal scrollbar in the upper pane, there is one in the lower pane.

(3) Now I F10 to get back to single-panel mode.

(4) And now I F10 again to get back to dual-panel mode. Note that once again the lower panel shows the one-unit increment of right-shift creep for the main divider (i.e. TREE is too wide by one incremental unit).

But the real defect now is that the column data is incorrect. The wrong information is used to populate the column cells.

(5) Still in split-screen dual-panel mode, I now change the selected folder in the lower TREE and voila the correct data now populates the column cells.

(6) Now F10 again to return to single-panel mode.

(7) And F10 again to return to dual-panel split-screen mode. Once again, incorrect data populating the columns of the selected folder in the lower TREE when this F10 is performed.

(8) And once again select a different folder in the originally incorrect lower panel, and now the column data correctly populates the column cells.

dsperber

Re: 823: wrong data populating right-shifted columns after F10 (top/bottom split)

#2 Post by dsperber » 14.07.2020, 18:49

(9) Now I manually correct the lower panel TREE width by dragging the main divider left so that it is underneath the main divider of the upper panel. It will now remain there forever across program close/re-open and across F10 toggles. The initial right-shifted location is "fixed", and the horizontal scrollbar in the lower pane is no longer presented.

(10) With the lower panel still having focus (since I just dragged the main divider left), I now press F10. This causes the what was in the lower panel to be displayed in single-panel mode. Column location and main divider location are all correct, and the column data is still correct.

(11) I now press F10 to return to dual-panel mode, with the lower panel once again having the focus. Note that now it is the UPPER PANEL (i.e. the panel that does not have the focus) has incorrect data populating its columns.

(12) And finally, if I select a different folder in the upper panel the column data corrects itself. And I re-select the original folder again once again the column data is now correct. So it's only incorrect in whichever panel does NOT have the focus when F10 first splits the screen. But selecting a different folder while remaining in split-screen mode fixes the problem and from then on as long as split-screen mode is kept the columns will be populated properly.

Marek
Author
Author

Re: 823: wrong data populating right-shifted columns after F10 (top/bottom split)

#3 Post by Marek » 14.07.2020, 22:40

Unfortunately I can not reproduce it.
Could you send me your config files?

dsperber

#4 Post by dsperber » 15.07.2020, 00:35

Just as I did in my other bug thread, I've now re-run the 823 experiment demonstrating this bug on a second Win7 machine with 1920x1200 and 125% scaling. The INI files you're looking (showing both my starting 8221 INI as well as post-823 INI) is attached on that other thread.

(1) I started from the dual-panel state of things from the final state of the other thread. So this is how it looks to begin, with top panel having the focus.

(2) Then I did F10 to get to single-panel mode (showing what was just previously the top panel which had the focus).

(3) Then I did another F10 to get to dual-panel mode. Note that the bottom panel now has mis-populated the wrong data into the columns of the panel which doesn't have the focus (i.e. the bottom, in this case).

(4) Then I simply closed and re-opened FCXE, still in dual-panel mode. Now when the program starts the bottom panel which had the incorrect data in the columns just before close/re-open now has opened correctly populated in the columns.

(5) Then I repeated the pair of F10, with the program remaining open. Here's the first F10 to go to single-panel mode.

(6) And then here's the second F10 to go to dual-panel mode. Note that once again there is garbage data populating the columns of the lower panel.

(7) Then I selected a different folder in the lower panel TREE (thus giving the lower panel focus), which now correctly populates the columns in the lower panel.

(8) And then I re-selected the original folder in the lower panel TREE (which originally had back column data after F10), and now it properly populates the column data. It's only the use of F10 which results in the wrong data populating the columns of whichever panel doesn't have the focus.

dsperber

#5 Post by dsperber » 15.07.2020, 00:45

(9) Now still in dual-panel mode with the bottom panel (with the now properly column-populated original folder selected) still having the focus I press F10. That goes to single-panel mode with what was the bottom panel (with the focus when F10 was pressed) now displayed. Looks good.

(10) And now I press F10 to go back to dual-panel mode with the bottom panel having focus again. And now it is the top panel which gets the garbage column data, again whichever panel does not have the focus gets its columns improperly populated from the use of F10.

(11) Then to wrap up the bug demonstration I closed and re-opened the program. Note that the previously incorrect upper pane (which didn't have the focus) now is populated correctly (even though it is still the panel without the focus). It is the use of F10 which causes the corruption.

(12) And now finally I do a pair of F10, first going to single-panel (of bottom panel since it had the focus) and then back to dual-panel (with top panel not having the focus). And sure enough the second F10 that produces dual-panel with focus on the bottom panel also once again populates the columns of the to panel (which does not have the focus) with garbage.

For convenience, I'll re-attach the INI files here as well as in my other 823 bug thread.
Attachments
FCXE_Settings-backups.zip
(104.38 KiB) Downloaded 414 times

Marek
Author
Author

#6 Post by Marek » 15.07.2020, 19:30

As workaround try to change the columns order in the definition https://freecommander.com/fchelpxe/en/C ... files.html to the same order as in display pane.

dsperber

#7 Post by dsperber » 15.07.2020, 23:36

I'm not sure I follow what you want me to do, but let me see if this is it.

(1) I don't have any user-defined column profiles established. So there is only the one fc_default_view currently shown.

(2) Interestingly, when I look at the detail columns defined for this fc_default_view it doesn't actually match the sequence of my columns. Yes, the same seven columns are shown but they are not in the proper order as the GUI details pane shows them in.

So unless I don't really understand how this is supposed to look, something doesn't seem right here.

Anyway, if I understand your request, you want me to now MANUALLY CREATE a new column profile, with the seven columns precisely arranged to reflect the correct sequence that they should be in. Note that the bug we're discussing is not that the column headings are incorrect, because they are in fact correct. It is the data placed in the cells of each column which is incorrectly populated and is the wrong data for each column heading, but only right after F10... and even then only in the secondary panel that doesn't have the focus.

Of course now that I look at it I believe the "incorrect data" looks to be the data items corresponding to the columns of fc_default_view, which actually doesn't match the column headings drawn in the GUI pane.

Ok. I will (for the very first time, so I hope I do it right) create a column profile with the correctly arranged seven columns. And I will define it to be my new "default" column arrangement setup, usable for all criteria (at least for now).

I'll let you know if that overcomes the bug in 823 (which seems to be that fc_default_view is wrong for me).

dsperber

#8 Post by dsperber » 16.07.2020, 00:30

Ok. I believe I've created my own manual column profile ("no condition") which I placed first (i.e. in front of fc_default_view which appears to be the cause of the problem issue I've described and documented in this thread). The large column width values in fc_default_view are not getting adjusted automatically (and saved at program close) when I manually drag the column dividers left so that the columns are narrower and so that I can see all seven columns with no horizontal scrollbar. Consequently, when I then close and re-open the program, the original column widths shown in fc_default_view once again cause things to spread to the right, not reflecting the manual left-shift locations I dragged all the column dividers to before closing the program.

Seems like this is the root cause of my other bug thread which describes the above symptom exactly. Even though I've manually dragged the dividers left to narrow all the columns, the new locations (and the implied column width) is not being saved in fc_default_view at program close. Hence things are wide again when I re-open the program, per the original column widths in fc_default_view.

And as far as this thread's other bug is concerned, it looks like the "wrong data populating right-shifted columns after F10" is because fc_default_view actually has the wrong column sequence in it!! This is not reflective of my own GUI column sequence. And that's why it looks like the "wrong data" is populating the columns of the secondary panel whcih doesn't have the focus. Right after F10 the data in the columns of that secondary panel appear to be getting populated based on the column names found in fc_default_view, not the true columns which are onscreen per my GUI.

So, I have now created a column profile of my own, as "no condition", and placed first (i.e. in front of fc_default_view which hopefully now will no longer be used). Each of the seven columns is sequenced properly (to match my GUI columns) and also re-sized to be narrower so that the total width can fit in my program window without needing a horizontal scrollbar. I've also applied the new profile to both the top and bottom panels.

And now everything seems to work properly. Repeated pairs of F10 do not populate incorrect data any longer in the columns secondary panel. In fact the correct data is now appearing in each column, as expected. Furthermore, closing/re-opening the program does not see a right-shift of the columns as it originally did, because my own custom column profile is now always operative, with the defective fc_default_view ignored totally.

(1) So here is my new custom column profiles, "no condition", and placed in front of the defective fc_default_view.

(2) And here is the detail definition for the columns in that profile.

So, in my opinion, the two problems I've reported seem to be tied first to a defectvie fc_default_view. It's columns do not reflect my GUI pane column sequence.

Also, even though I manually drag the column dividers left (because they're two wide), the newly determined reduced width of those columns is not updating the columns inside fc_default_view when the program is closed. So when I re-open the program all of the original columns widths are still in effect, and all of my work left-shifting the column dividers has been lost.

As to why the incorrect column data is populated in the secondary panel only when F10 is used, but the correct column data (per my GUI column arrangement, not per fc_default_view column sequence) IS populated when I simply select another folder in TREE pane... well, I don't know. That's for you to figure out.

But for now at least, it does appear that manually building a correctly constructed column profile to override the defective fc_default_view and its mismanagement (i.e. not being updated at program close) across close/re-open, that approach appears 100% successful. Both of the bugs I've reported are now overcome.

dsperber

#9 Post by dsperber » 17.07.2020, 04:00

===> Appears that 824 fixes everything.

I uninstalled FCXE completely and deleted \Appdata totally. Started install of 824 from absolute zero, to install completely new from default.

Then I re-customized my setup, presentation, options, and my Standard Toolbar, starting from the 824 default.

And everything works perfectly now. I don't need to create a Custom Column Profile. Standard fc_default_view works fine.

Looks like you have emerged victorious!\