aglassofmilk

Synchronize doesn't find the differences in two different folders

#1 Post by aglassofmilk » 06.07.2020, 09:41

My Freecommander version is:
Freecommander XE 2020 Build 810a 64-bit Donor

This version does not synchronize reliably

System is Windows10.

What happens is:
I have two folders on two different mechanical USB harddrives which I synchronized on my old windows7 computer with FreeCommander XE 2017 Build 740 64-bit donor. This version works perfectly fine. No random question marks like in the 810a build and it finds all differences without using anything other than "Name, Size" comparison.
So then new folders with data were added on one harddrive and I wanted to use the Windows10 with the Freecommander XE 2020 Build 810a 64-bit Donor version to synchronize. This also happened with different folders which I just now noticed, so they aren't synchronized even though I expected them to be synchronized for weeks now. Because build 810a didn't find any differences. But this is wrong. There are tons of differences as my old Build 740 -which is running right now- detected.

So windows7 build 740 works fine. Windows7 regional setting is japanese. The folders contain a lot of japanese characters.

The japanese characters are maybe what troubles the new build 810a? build 810a runs on windows10 with search indexing disabled. Region setting on my windows10 is german or us. The folders and files I synchronize contain a lot of japanese characters.

Can I exchange my copy of 810a for a copy of build 740 for the time being?

And a number of general improvement ideas:
1. option in menu to play beep when tasks in folder>synchronize is finished (compare>beep,synchronize>beep). Because usually I let the screensaver take over during synchronization processes.
2. when entering the folder>synchronize an option to tell freecommander whether the two folders are on two different physical drives, so it can check both drives synchron or at the same time during folder/file/tree-search instead of: first folder A then folder B as it is now. This would ~half the time of the process
3. superficial comparison: I am not sure if this is how it can work. But let me explain. If I have two folders with many files and subfolders. And I know the differences are not minor. Is it possible for a superficial comparison option that works like this:
compare number of files and folder size of outer most folder in current tree. If there are no differences between the two folders skip to next. If there is a difference repeat process with files/folders inside this folder.
Right now each file is compared. In many cases a fast superficial comparison like this would be enough. The only case where it would be slower would be if both folders were full and completely different.
4. option for streaming synchronization. Instead of building a file tree of millions of files, the user selects before comparing the outcome he wants, like copy new files from left to right, or delete files on the right... and so on

In anyway, version 810a is not useable for me. The question marks it creatize in folder>comparison is weird. But the real downfall is that it doesn't find differences between two folders for some reason. it worked when one folder was empty. But now that both folders have a lot of files where most of them match, it doesn't find the rest that does not match unlike build 740

horst.epp

Re: Synchronize doesn't find the differences in two different folders

#2 Post by horst.epp » 06.07.2020, 12:51

The actual donor version is 822.
So making a post with 810a is not usefull if you want reactions from other users.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
Everything Version 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.67
FreeCommander XE 2024 Build 905 64-bit donor

Karol

#3 Post by Karol » 06.07.2020, 15:24

Changed: Folder synchronize - comparison with only two options "Name" and "Size" is now possible. Until now comparison with only these two options always provided "?" as a result.
It was changed in the release 811.
Check viewtopic.php?p=30918#p30918

aglassofmilk

#4 Post by aglassofmilk » 06.07.2020, 20:59

The actual donor version is 822.
So making a post with 810a is not usefull if you want reactions from other users.
Your text doesn't help anyone at all. I can not download a different version. I got my version for donating 5 days ago, on July 1st... this is not the point anyway. My point is that the version I got does not work. I think this should be a beta or something, not a public build. That version is bugged to a point that it doesn't work. As I mentioned an older version just works fine for the same task.
It was changed in the release 811.
That is great news, I don't understand why I got a not working and completely outdated version of the program for donating 5 days ago... this is sad