Sorting by Extension is wrong

Bugs and issues.
Ars

#16 Post by Ars » 08.08.2008, 11:45

Bearded Kirklander wrote: It appears that the Extention column is "stuck" and only sorts from A down to Z even if you click on it to toggle between A to Z and Z to A.
Yes, and I see the same behavior after defining my own column set. No descending sort by Extension. So - YAB :(

Also, (this should probably come to Feature Requests) - let Extension to be among standard columns, such as Name, Size, Type etc.

Oh... another thing: when Extension column is shown, it would be nice that Name colunm will not show file extension, only name.

Bearded Kirklander

#17 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 08.08.2008, 12:49

Ars wrote:
Bearded Kirklander wrote: It appears that the Extention column is "stuck" and only sorts from A down to Z even if you click on it to toggle between A to Z and Z to A.
Oh... another thing: when Extension column is shown, it would be nice that Name colunm will not show file extension, only name.
If that were to be implemented, I think I would like that as a user selectable option, so the user can choose to have the file extension show up in the NAME column or not show up in the NAME column.

I personally prefer it to be in the NAME column because it is what I'm used to, and it seems to work well when you rename files too.

I have my NAME column set to a width of 58 but my EXTENSION column set to a width of 2. I do this so that the extention text is not repeated, and also so that I can quickly click on that header to sort by extension.

I think by giving people the option to show or not to show is always better than forcing only one way to view.

To make it simple to match this post with an example picture, I will include the linked picture here as well. So the below image is what seems to work best for me.

Marek
Author
Author

#18 Post by Marek » 11.08.2008, 22:41

Descending sort by Extension and Type is fixed now (beta 368).

Bearded Kirklander

#19 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 11.08.2008, 22:44

Marek wrote:Descending sort by Extension and Type is fixed now (beta 368).
You, sir, are simply amazing. :)

I shall download and test it very shortly.

Your efforts are VERY much appreciated.

It looks like the EXTENSION bug and the TYPE bug is fixed for files, but I'll keep testing. It also looks like the EXTENTION feature is working fine for folders / directories.

Thanks

EDIT: One Bug Still Seems To Be Present

I wanted to report this ASAP so you could check it out if you have time.

I have it set up so that the NAME column shows regular files and hidden / system files.

The RECYCLED ( WIN XP with FAT32 drive ) entry seems to be sometimes listed as a File Folder and sometimes just listed as Folder.

Either way, that particular entry under TYPE is still not sorting properly. Here are two screen caps showing what I am talking about: