Some System Files/Folders Not Visible?

Discussion, questions and support.
fluffy

Some System Files/Folders Not Visible?

#1 Post by fluffy » 10.11.2019, 15:27

I use FC version 2019.0.0.804 on windows 10x64bit. Why I can not see some system files/folders for example in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers"? There is 4 folders and over 350 files, which is not visible in FC? I can only see 2 folders and one file? The option "show system files" and "show hidden files" is booked under setttings.
I still have old FC version 2009.2.0.417 and there is no problem at all to see ALL files and folders even hidden and system!
Is there any solution to this problem? I like newer FC very much because it suits my needs perfect and latest version has more modern look that the old one 8) .

fluffy

Re: Some System Files/Folders Not Visible?

#3 Post by fluffy » 10.11.2019, 17:31

If this is solution.......

Navigate to the folder “c:\windows” in FreeCommander
Press and hold the Shift-key and activate the menu item “Tools → DOS box…” at the same time
Confirm “User Account Control”
The DOS box is opened with the folder “c:\windows\system32”
Create symbolic link: mklink /J “symlink_System32” “c:\windows\system32”
It is possible now, to navigate to the genuine “c:\windows\system32” folder via the symbolic link “symlink_System32”

.......then this is to complicated for me. I followed this description above but has not managed to find symbolic link, Where is this symbolic link stored when I follow the description or where I can find it after creation?

If there is no better solution then I will need to find other commander which can view all folders/files :cry:

horst.epp

Re: Some System Files/Folders Not Visible?

#4 Post by horst.epp » 13.11.2019, 17:26

fluffy wrote: 10.11.2019, 17:31 If this is solution.......

Navigate to the folder “c:\windows” in FreeCommander
Press and hold the Shift-key and activate the menu item “Tools → DOS box…” at the same time
Confirm “User Account Control”
The DOS box is opened with the folder “c:\windows\system32”
Create symbolic link: mklink /J “symlink_System32” “c:\windows\system32”
It is possible now, to navigate to the genuine “c:\windows\system32” folder via the symbolic link “symlink_System32”

.......then this is to complicated for me. I followed this description above but has not managed to find symbolic link, Where is this symbolic link stored when I follow the description or where I can find it after creation?

If there is no better solution then I will need to find other commander which can view all folders/files :cry:
Why don't spend a small amount of money and you get the x64 version which is the right version for a x64 OS
and has no such limitations.
Also you get the access to the portable and beta versions this way.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
Everything Version 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.67
FreeCommander XE 2024 Build 905 64-bit donor