Sorting by Extension is wrong

Bugs and issues.
Ars

Sorting by Extension is wrong

#1 Post by Ars » 07.08.2008, 08:05

There are two problems with it:
1. Changing direction of sorting does not work.
2. Alphabetical order is incorrent (for example, *.h.., then *c...., then *.s.., then *.p... etc).

Bearded Kirklander

#2 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 07.08.2008, 09:35

I had thought this was corrected in the 2008-06 release. I am not sure that I am completely understanding the question, but I'll give a try at helping to discuss the sorting features.

Here is a screen shot of a directory full of sub-folders. Some of the folders have a .DON extension, meaning those books have been read, and the ones without an extension have yet to be read.

The screen shot shows those folders when I am sorting by Extension.

If I sort by Name instead, the folders with the .DON extension are mixed in with all of the other folders and properly sorted without concern for the extension. I hope this makes sense.

Last edited by Bearded Kirklander on 07.08.2008, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

giangian

#3 Post by giangian » 07.08.2008, 12:38

Which version do you use?

I've tried with the latest version and everything it's ok

Ciao
I know... my english it's not perfect

Ars

#4 Post by Ars » 07.08.2008, 13:13

Build 04.2008, bug is still here :(((

Bearded Kirklander

#5 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 07.08.2008, 13:47

Ars wrote:Build 04.2008, bug is still here :(((
Have you tried the very latest versions?

2008.6 or 2008.6a?

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Fr ... 01600509/1

Works fine on those, I believe.

Ars

#6 Post by Ars » 07.08.2008, 15:26

No, the same problem.
Sorting by Type works very strange.

giangian

#7 Post by giangian » 07.08.2008, 16:05

Ars wrote:No, the same problem.
Sorting by Type works very strange.
Sorry for my previous topic, I had a mistake with the "Sorting by Extension".
It's true, the sorting by type doesn't work well.

Bearded Kirklander

#8 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 07.08.2008, 19:09

So sorting by EXTENSION works properly then?

It is only sorting by TYPE that does not function as expected?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#9 Post by Dreamer » 07.08.2008, 22:48

Bearded Kirklander wrote:So sorting by EXTENSION works properly then?

Type and Extension is NOT the same, for example Extension is .ini, but Type is Configuration Settings, or .exe - Application...

If Sort by extension works good, then it's not a bug.

Bearded Kirklander

#10 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 07.08.2008, 23:00

Dreamer wrote:

Type and Extension is NOT the same, for example Extension is .ini, but Type is Configuration Settings, or .exe - Application...

I guess I never saw the "bug" because I have always turned off the TYPE column when I use Free Commander.

The screen shot up above shows what my column setup is.

I have the NAME column, then a very short EXTENSION column right next to it, so I can click on the column header if I want to be able to set it to sort by extension. I don't actually need to see the extension in that column because the extension is already shown in the NAME column.

Then I have the standard SIZE, MODIFIED date and ATTRIBUTES columns, which gives me that old Norton Commander type of feel.

I've always been a fan of sorting by extension and still am to this very day. Never really considered using the TYPE column when I'm trying to do file management. Extension is just what I'm used to and what works best for me.

Ars

#11 Post by Ars » 08.08.2008, 08:43

Dreamer wrote:

Well, a Type is actually deduced from Extension. So at least it is expected to put together all Images, then all Executables, then Archives etc. But, the order is undefined in the latest version, so it's a bug (for example, it puts 7z, then exe, then files with no extension, then gz, then bat, doc, zip and so on).
That was first, and the second is - I can see only Type column, NOT Extension. This is confusing, I have to use Shift-Ctrl-F4 or dropdown menu in order to sort by Ext, but after this, I can not see where the key sorting column is. Moreover, I can not do descending sorting by extension.
So:
1. Bug with Type should be fixed.
2. Extension column should be added as well, otherwise it leads to misunderstandings.

Karol

#12 Post by Karol » 08.08.2008, 09:29

1. Sort by type works well for me, I see no bug
2. If you like extension column - define your own view with this column. Check menu view - custom columns.

giangian

#13 Post by giangian » 08.08.2008, 09:59

I've tried the sort by type and by extension and the bug it's the same, sorting is always ascendency also if the down arrow (descendant) is drawn in the column.

I have the 2008.06a version on XP SP2.

Bearded Kirklander

#14 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 08.08.2008, 10:38

Ars wrote:Well, a Type is actually deduced from Extension. So at least it is expected to put together all Images, then all Executables, then Archives etc. But, the order is undefined in the latest version, so it's a bug (for example, it puts 7z, then exe, then files with no extension, then gz, then bat, doc, zip and so on).
That was first, and the second is - I can see only Type column, NOT Extension. This is confusing, I have to use Shift-Ctrl-F4 or dropdown menu in order to sort by Ext, but after this, I can not see where the key sorting column is. Moreover, I can not do descending sorting by extension.
So:
1. Bug with Type should be fixed.
2. Extension column should be added as well, otherwise it leads to misunderstandings.
When I first started using Free Commander, I found that in order to obtain the look and functionality I wanted, I needed to use the Custom Columns feature.

I found that feature by clicking on the View menu then selecting the Custom Columns option and finally selecting the Settings option.

Once I was at that dialog, I chose the Add To List button and typed in a Profile Name in the text entry box and pressed the Enter key.

With that profile name highlighted I chose the Define Columns button (it's on the far right and use a hammer as the icon)

It was from that dialog that I defined the column layout that I preferred.

The first field title Name is already present by default. To define other column titles, I chose the Add To Lost button and selected Extension from the pop up list that appeared after clicking the button. I then repeated that procedure to add the Size, Modified and Attributes columns.

Next I adjusted the Alignment and Width for each column title and when finished, clicked the OK button on that dialog. I then clicked the OK button on the Settings dialog which returned me to the main program interface.

From there I chose the View menu item, then selected the Custom Columns option and then chose the name of the Profile that I had typed in earlier to apply that particular column profile.

I then could click on any of the headers just above the list of files to sort by that column.

For instance, when I wanted to sort by Extension, I clicked once on header titled Extension. A small black arrow showed up next to that header title, which indicates if that column is shown in Ascending order or Descending order. If you click that column header a second time, you can see that it can act as a toggle between Ascending and Descending views.

The same is true for each of the header titles.

I just followed that procedure and I think I was able to replicate the bug you were referring to.

While the NAME column appears to sort properly, the EXTENSION and TYPE columns do not.

I will do more testing to be sure, but it looks like somehow the sorting is no longer working properly, at least for those two columns.

For the Extension column, it seems that the sorting is applied to the folders / directories, but is not applied to the files in that folder.

And for the Type column, it appears not to sort properly as well. If I click on the Extension column to test sorting, and then click on the Type column, I seem to get unexpected results. Sometimes the Recycled entry is shown as File Folder and other times just Folder.

Very odd indeed.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention so we could try to duplicate your result.

I hope this will be corrected shortly and a new beta version released soon.

Best wishes,

BK

Bearded Kirklander

#15 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 08.08.2008, 11:26

I removed Free Commander and reinstalled just the standard 2008.06 release and was suprised to find that the Extention and Type columns do not sort properly or consistently.

It appears that the Extention column is "stuck" and only sorts from A down to Z even if you click on it to toggle between A to Z and Z to A.

I'm so glad you pointed this out. It is starting to look like a pretty serious bug. I can't believe I did not notice this before. I wish I would have been more thorough.

I may go ahead and try to do a fresh install of Windows XP SP2 and then install Free Commander 2008.06 to make sure no data or settings have been left behind from the various beta tests.

I hope this bug is able to be fixed - and fast.