Compare not just files but folders in each file pane please.

Suggestions and feature requests.
Bearded Kirklander

Compare not just files but folders in each file pane please.

#1 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 25.07.2008, 13:14

Right now the COMPARE feature in the pretty awesome 2008.6 version, appears to only compare whatever files it finds in each pane. There is no option that I can find to compare FOLDER NAMES, DATES, TIMES, etc. as well.

Norton Commander for DOS used to do that, and I think it would be fantastic if the feature was added. Why? Well, here's an example.

I have one folder on my local F: drive that lists 678 objects, in this case all of them are folders. They could be band names, album names, audio book titles, whatever.

I have a Z: drive that is an external Western Digital 1 gig it only has 542 objects because last Monday when I backed up the folders on my local drive, that is the number that was on that local drive.

Now, all I want to be able to do is find a fast and easy way to COMPARE the folder names (in addition to any files that exist along with the list of folders) in the left pane, F:, to the right pane, Z: and have it highlight those folders that do not exist in both panes so that I can be in the left pane for F: and be able to press F5 to copy those folders, and all their contents, over to the Z: drive shown in the right pane.

You could have options to check off conditionals, like "Highlight only items that are newer" and "Do not differentiate between upper and lower case" (which I think is how Windows does it any way, but in Linux, file and folder names can be case sensitive).

So let's see - I added say 90 updated folders today on my F: drive but also deleted or renamed 17 folders. What I want to do is copy those 90 updated / new folders over to my Z: drive but also make sure that those 17 items that no longer exist in the right pane (Z: drive) can be highlighted and deleted or moved quickly.

Does that make sense? I sure hope so.

Sometimes it's not all about comparing the sub-folders. It can be just about comparing the actual folder names, times, dates, etc. with each other. So, on the left pane ( F: ) 90 folders end up highlighted because they either don't exist in the right pane ( Z: ) or are actually newer (the modified date and time, if you tick that check box option) and 17 folders end up highlighted on the right pane ( Z: ) because I either removed them or renamed them on my F: drive and want the Z: drive to reflect that.

I truly do hope that the honorable programming stud that makes this wonderful application will indeed consider adding this incredibly useful feature.

Thank you very much, and I am very glad you have forums where I can make comments, suggestions, etc. that everyone can read.

Normally, I just bother you with numerous emails, but now I can bother an entire community with my requests. :)

Take care, and thanks,

Bearded Kirlander

Marek
Author
Author

#2 Post by Marek » 25.07.2008, 22:28

Hello Bearded,

we can make a deal :) - I make a new option for the COMPARE function and you update your Guide and maybe write a new chapter.
I think, I can tommorow upload a new beta :).

Bearded Kirklander

#3 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 26.07.2008, 02:25

Marek wrote:Hello Bearded,

we can make a deal :) - I make a new option for the COMPARE function and you update your Guide and maybe write a new chapter.
That would be wonderful. Thank you very much.

Is there any specific area that you would like me to focus on in adding to the guide? Perhaps I could put together a section that discusses the Multi-File renaming and maybe even the Folder Compare and Synchronize features?

Or perhaps you already have a specific area or two that you would like to have covered? If so, please let me know and I'll do my best to do justice to the topic.

As always, my sincere thanks for the work you do in providing us with this very good and happily Free application.

I'll look forward to your reply,

BK

Marek
Author
Author

#4 Post by Marek » 26.07.2008, 22:38

The new option is ready in the new beta 360. Check Extras->Settings->Compare folders for the new option.
Is there any specific area that you would like me to focus on in adding to the guide? Perhaps I could put together a section that discusses the Multi-File renaming and maybe even the Folder Compare and Synchronize features?
I think you can make 3 chapter, one for each thema.

Bearded Kirklander

#5 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 27.07.2008, 01:02

Marek wrote:
I think you can make 3 chapter, one for each thema.
Thema? I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Could you specify the topics by name please, and I will then begin working on an outline.

Sincere thanks,

BK

Bearded Kirklander

#6 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 27.07.2008, 06:06

Marek wrote:The new option is ready in the new beta 360. Check Extras->Settings->Compare folders for the new option.
I will be doing some in-depth scenario testing probably within the next few days. I'll let you know what I find out, and again, thank you.

By the way, is there any option to preserve file and folder dates and times when copying or moving to another drive/location?

What seems to be happening is that when I copy files from my local drive - D: for example, to my external hard drive - Z: for example, the file and folder dates and time on that external drive are set to the date and time values at the time of the copy or move operation.

So, if I do a compare, the files on the local folder - D: have retained their original date and times, as it should be, but the folders on the external drive folder - Z: have a date and time that makes them look "Newer", thus kind of defeating some of the intent behind a compare operation that is designed to facilitate a backup of new data to an external drive.

If we had check box options like the ones listed below:

Preserve Original Date and Time When Copying
Preserve Original Date and Time When Moving

We could choose to click and enable either of those options, or click again to disable either of those options as needed.

Personally, I would choose to enable both of them in my daily use, but would think that users might want to be able to check or uncheck these options as they wish.

If I remember right, the last version of Norton Commander For DOS that I used always preserved the date and time for folders and files, but that was back when DOS only provided one Date and Time value for each file.

Now though, I believe there are at least 3 different Date and Time values assigned to files and folders - possibly Created, Modified and Accessed, so the results I was expecting based upon how it used to work in the old days are not the same results I end up with now.

I look forward to hearing back from you on this.

Thank you,

BK

Marek
Author
Author

#7 Post by Marek » 28.07.2008, 23:52

Could you specify the topics by name please, and I will then begin working on an outline.
- Multi rename
- Folder synchronize
- Folder compare
By the way, is there any option to preserve file and folder dates and times when copying or moving to another drive/location?
No. Such option is possible if FreeCommander has own copy function (now the copy function is from Explorer). I hope, I can make this in the next version after 2008.06a.

Bearded Kirklander

#8 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 29.07.2008, 03:37

Marek wrote:
- Multi rename
- Folder synchronize
- Folder compare
No. Such option is possible if FreeCommander has own copy function (now the copy function is from Explorer). I hope, I can make this in the next version after 2008.06a.
Thank you for listing those 3 items. It is easier if I can focus on a particular topic so that my mind doesn't wanter too much. I can address each one specifically and individually and then I will submit them to you for review one at a time. I can at least start an outline and rough draft and then as updates / changes are made to the functions during the beta process, I can modify the rough draft accordingly.

As for the Preserve Date and Time option, perhaps it would be possible to copy or move all of the files, and then once the operation is finished, you could alter the dates and times of the destination files by using variables stored in memory of the originals date and times?

I do not know if the files and folders in the copy and move processes are done in a generic batch operation ( like a Star.Star - *.* ) or if they are done one item at a time and it may not be the most efficient method, but I think it would be possible.

If the process is done one item at a time, perhaps it would be possible to modify the time and date of each item as the operation is completed?

In a crude fashion, an example might follow something like this logic:
  • LOOP WHILE X is less than or equal to the number of items to be moved or copied

Move or Copy OriginalFilename.Variable (X) to DestinationFilename.Variable (X) - COMMENT - S specified as An Array

Change Date and Time of DestinationFilename.Variable (X) to equal OriginalFilename.Variable (X)

Increase X counter by + 1

END LOOP
Again, that's just a rough expression of a thought process, but I hope it helps to explain what it is that I am trying to provide an example of.

Thank you,

BK

Bearded Kirklander

#9 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 12.08.2008, 15:15

In thinking about this even further, and looking at how some other apps have dealt with the issue, and it might be that only the Date & Time of each Folder Entry (directory) need be changed after all of the files under each folder is succesfully copied / moved.

Instead of processing individual files, that you would only have to process the Folder / Directory names themselves.

Just wanted to comment on that, because I think the way I was explaining it before made it sound like a pretty daunting task. I did not think it through as completely as I should have before the first post.

Sorry about that.

Thanks much,

BK

Justinaschwarz

Re: Compare not just files but folders in each file pane ple

#10 Post by Justinaschwarz » 12.09.2011, 15:10

The Norton Commander is the most useful DOS program ever written. Symantec (The makers of NC) dropped the ball when Windows 95 arrived. They now have Norton Navigator, which is not really any different than Windows Explorer. There is a Norton Commander for Windows 95 that was written overseas (Ireland, I believe), but many of these Shareware "Commanders" are better implementations. There does seem to be a Commander program for every OS: Unix, Linux, OS/2, Windows, and DOS. I haven't found one for the MacOS, but I don't have a Mac, so I haven't looked very hard. :)

christian8

Re:

#11 Post by christian8 » 16.10.2012, 01:54

Marek wrote:Hello Bearded,

Hi Marek,

Was this guide ever updated? And is it true that it is in Spanish? If so, is there an English version, or how do I get it translated? Do need to pay for professional translation services to translate it. Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks, Christian.