Customize Caption Text For Layouts In Toolbar Buttons

Bugs and other issues or requests which have been resolved.
thisguycecil

Customize Caption Text For Layouts In Toolbar Buttons

#1 Post by thisguycecil » 12.05.2016, 03:12

Hello.

Running with FCXE_x64 v720 in Windows 7 Pro.

I'm finally getting around to adding my own custom toolbars for FCXE. Have been setting them up to show very brief captions on the right for each button. Really cool and efficient. Saves valuable GUI screen real estate.

One in particular has got me stumped though. Namely, one which only holds my seven different custom layouts. Try as I might I cannot use the exact same method to change the toolbar item captions for these custom layouts. The caption still shows the longer default text.

For example: Create a custom layout named 'DoublePane_MP3' and assign it to Layout 1. This layout can be accessed fine, either via the main menu or its shortcut key. Next step, create a custom toolbar to hold a button representing this layout (along with other layouts). Then, in the 'Customize toolbars' options dialog select this layout in the large list on the right and add it to the toolbar items list on the left. Then click the 'Details' for this item and change the text string in the Captions entrybox to a very short 'MP3' string. Then click Apply, click OK, save the FCXE settings, close the app, re-open it. Alas, no luck. The toolbar item name still shows 'DoublePane_MP3', not the shorter string 'MP3'.

Cannot figure out the problem here. This same approach to shortening the default captions for other custom toolbar items all work fine.

The elegance and simplicity of a single toolbar button click to change layouts still eludes me. I am already aware of the less efficient alternative of using the internal popup menu item 'FcPopUp_Layouts' for the targeted toolbar button, but it seems unwieldy compared to a visible single-click action.

Any advice and assistance would be much appreciated.

------------
Regards, Cecil

joby_toss

Re: Customize Caption Text For Layouts In Toolbar Buttons

#2 Post by joby_toss » 12.05.2016, 08:05

You're right, the full name is displayed instead of the chosen caption.

P.S. Please, post beta related issues in the beta subforum section! Thank you!

thisguycecil

#3 Post by thisguycecil » 12.05.2016, 17:12

Thanks for the quick confirmation.

And also thanks for reminding me about the "beta" status of this x64 version of FCXE. It's generally been so good to me that I tend to forget it's technically still in beta! Should I purposely double-post my message to that beta subforum now?

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 12.05.2016, 19:17

No need for that, I'm sure Dreamer will move this one to its rightful place (possibility to add Layouts as toolbar buttons was added in beta 717 donor and is not possible in current public release).

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss » 17.05.2016, 15:49

Fixed in 721. Thank's!