File - New item shortcut

Bugs and other issues or requests which have been resolved.
Diamond

File - New item shortcut

#1 Post by Diamond » 26.07.2014, 08:36

Hello,
In the older version FreeCommander 2009, there is a keyboard shortcut labeled
"File - New item"
It opens the "New" submenu found in Windows Explorer and allows you to create a new item from the available list on the menu. This shortcut is very useful, but it does not seem to exist in FreeCommander XE. I would like to request that this shortcut be added to the new version.
Keep up the great work.
Regards.

joby_toss

Re: File - New item shortcut

#2 Post by joby_toss » 26.07.2014, 09:02

Choose a button and add this:

Diamond

#3 Post by Diamond » 26.07.2014, 09:07

Sorry, but I am visually impaired so I cannot see any images that you post.

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 26.07.2014, 09:19

Hit Tools.
Select Customize toolbars.
In the upper left part of the window select the desired toolbar (the one you want to add a button to).
In the lower left part of the same window select the item you want to modify (I've added the "Edit new" button) and click on the 2 dots on its right side.
In the new Details window that opens, on the bottom, there is a drop down menu; select $FcPopup_ShellNew.
Hit OK.

Result: your "Edit new" toolbar button will have an arrow on its right side, that opens the system's shell "New" menu.

Diamond

#5 Post by Diamond » 26.07.2014, 09:39

I see. Thank you for the suggestion, but this is not exactly what I am looking for. I am simply looking for the "New item" keyboard shortcut that existed in the older version to be added to the newer one. Unfortunately, being that I am visually impaired, I depend on screen reading software which means that while toolbars are not always necessarily completely inaccessible, they are not the most convenient or efficient way of performing tasks. I rely much more heavily on the keyboard than the mouse.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#6 Post by Dreamer » 26.07.2014, 16:51

What exactly do you need to do? What about the shortcut "New file", I'm using F8 for new file, then you can type the file name and extension you need, e.g. "file.pdf", it might be even faster than selecting the item manually with mouse.

Another available shortcut is "Edit new" (Shift+F4), type the name, e.g. 1.txt, then the file will be created and automatically opened in default editor, set in FC.

If you still want the New menu item, it should be possible with HotkeyP, great small and free tool for shortcuts. If you need help with this tool, let me know.

Diamond

#7 Post by Diamond » 26.07.2014, 17:33

Thanks, your suggestions would work fine for creating plain text files or other file types which are simply text files with a different extension, but they will not work for creating files which are not actually text files. Your example would simply create a text file with the PDF extension. This however would not be a true PDF file. The Explorer "New" menu is more flexible since it allows you to create files of any type which are registered to appear on this menu. For example, on my system the "New" menu has the following items.

Folder
Shortcut
AutoHotkey Script
Alarm++ File
AutoIt v3 Script
Bitmap image
Contact
Microsoft Word Document
Journal Document
Script Documentation
Script Header
Script Messages
Script Source
PopSel Menu
Text Document
WinHTTrack Project
Microsoft Excel Worksheet
Briefcase

It is also possible to register additional items to appear on the menu. And yes, I am aware that there are potential workarounds like HotkeyP, AutoHotkey, and so on. However, since this was a shortcut which existed in the previous version, it seems like a fairly minor feature request. Unless there is some technical reason which makes adding this shortcut to the new version more difficult?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#8 Post by Dreamer » 26.07.2014, 18:07

OK, I understand, so please wait if Marek will add this feature in the future.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#9 Post by Dreamer » 01.08.2014, 22:27

Shortcut and toolbar item implemented in version 668 (donor version).

Topic closed.

Diamond

#10 Post by Diamond » 01.08.2014, 23:09

Thanks much. This is appreciated.