New to XE. Questions on several settings

Discussion, questions and support.
dsperber

New to XE. Questions on several settings

#1 Post by dsperber » 19.03.2014, 10:27

LONGTIME user of FreeCommander 2009.02b. Having a very tough time getting XE set up properly and also getting used to it. Much of the terminology used in Settings is not intuitive (at least for me), adding to my confusion.

Two specific problems which are most annoying and therefore most important for me to resolve. I'm sure the proper setting must be somewhere, but I can't find it. Can someone please advise.

(1) With FC2009 the size of a file was shown in bytes for me, per the bottom of the Settings -> View tab which allowed specifying in bytes, KB, or AUTO (KB, MB or GB). With XE, I cannot find that setting and the value shown by default appears to be effectively AUTO.

Where, if at all, is the equivalent SIZE display option in XE? My goal is to set "bytes", same as in FC2009.

(2) Although I can't find how I did it (assuming it was a setting), the Viewer pane columns (with the grid lines which I've activated) in FC2009 were spreadable manually. And once they were spread, they stayed exactly there. Every column was manually adjustable in width, and retained its new horizontal size and location.

With XE I cannot seem to make my manual column adjustments "stick". Every column appears to AUTO-SIZE and I cannot turn that off.

I've tried to figure out how to use the column profile, and there is an "autosize for "Name" column checkbox with XE, same as there was for FC2009. And with FC2009, I have that box UN-CHECKED, which is probably the explanation for why my columns DO NOT AUTOSIZE with FC2009. But with XE, that same option DOES NOT SEEM TO WORK!

In other words, when I un-check that autosize for "Name" column item, not only does it not seem to have any effect, but it also doesn't even seem to be saved after pushing OK. If I re-open the settings dialog my previously un-checked item is now once again checked!!

Is this a bug? Is this the right thing for me to do to disable column auto-sizing, but it's just not working correctly?

joby_toss

Re: New to XE. Questions on several settings

#2 Post by joby_toss » 19.03.2014, 11:37

dsperber

#3 Post by dsperber » 20.03.2014, 09:33

Thank you very much! A picture's worth 1000 words and that's all I needed to see. Both problems solved.

I've now pretty much got it configured as I want, except that I can't figure out what I must have done that suppresses tabs in the Tree viewer. I can click on the title bar for the pane and see all of the history, and I can then click on any of those history items and the pane goes to that path. But I thought I was also supposed to be able to see multiple tabs on that title bar so that I could simply click on the tab directly to navigate there.

I know I've seen that before, but I don't see it now. I must have un-checked something somewhere that is causing the suppression of these tabs.

Can you point me to that setting(s) which will present tabs for each path in the history list (assuming I'm correct in expecting this to be how it works)?

Many thanks again for your help.

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 20.03.2014, 21:14

There are no tabs in the history list. Or maybe I don't understand what you mean.

dsperber

#5 Post by dsperber » 21.03.2014, 02:27

I could swear that I initially saw MULTIPLE TABS on the Tree pane after I'd opened several different directories. I could close one or more by clicking on the "x" for each tab. I assumed this was a tabular representation of "history", and once you opened a folder you could then easily and instantly re-navigate to it by clicking on its tab... just as is the case with all tabular GUI presentations.

But now, I no longer see multiple tabs reflecting "history".

For example:

I could swear this should have been shown as three tabs side-by-side for the three folders previously visited as shown in the "history" list. Instead, it is now only showing the most currently selected folder as the one-and-only tab.

I may uninstall temporarily and reinstall from scratch, thus getting the default INI file... just to see how the program works with no Settings modifications, to see if I can re-find what I apparently touched that seems to have disabled tabs for "history".

wrbird

#6 Post by wrbird » 21.03.2014, 04:49

Maybe you're remembering that you had multiple folders open at a time, thereby having multiple taps shown?

dsperber

#7 Post by dsperber » 21.03.2014, 05:17

wrbird wrote:Maybe you're remembering that you had multiple folders open at a time, thereby having multiple taps shown?
Perhaps?? I should probably know how this could be done or is possible, but I don't.

How do I go about having multiple folders open at a time in one pane, to cause multiple tabs to appear?? Maybe I stumbled into that accidentally as I was getting used to FC-XE and now can't recall how to make it happen if my life depended on it.

wrbird

#8 Post by wrbird » 21.03.2014, 05:57

Just double click to the right of a tab and it will add a tab to that pane.

dsperber

#9 Post by dsperber » 21.03.2014, 06:14

wrbird wrote:Just double click to the right of a tab and it will add a tab to that pane.
THAT WAS IT!!! It works!

Where is this described? I can't find this in HELP, which only describes Settings relating to tabs (although honestly, the language and terminology is a bit cryptic and certainly assumes you're intimately familiar with specific words and techniques).

Is there someplace where you learned HOW to create the tab simply by double-clicking to the right of an existing tab? Where?

Anyway, MANY THANKS! That's all I needed (for now).

I believe (hopefully) that the rest of my experimenting with buttons, functions, and settings, should be self-explanatory as I look for the onscreen effect when something is checked or un-checked. I think FAVORITES looks like a very worthwhile new feature set for how I use FC, and have to learn how to make the most of it.

wrbird

#10 Post by wrbird » 21.03.2014, 06:47

I'm glad that did it. I understand the help files aren't the best. I've learned by playing around with the different options and following this forum. The members here have been very helpful to me. I've been using 2009b and then XE for a very long time now and am still learning.

joby_toss

#11 Post by joby_toss » 21.03.2014, 07:46

Oh, you're talking about Folder Tabs... your "Tree pane" got me confused.
Use View->New folder tab or Ctrl+T shortcut (customizable) or double click empty space on the tab bar, as wrbird mentioned.
There is an entire section in the Help file about Folder tabs.

http://www.freecommander.com/fcHelpXE/e ... rtabs.html