Using FC for delete operation

Discussion, questions and support.
joby_toss

Using FC for delete operation

#1 Post by joby_toss » 21.02.2014, 21:51

When I use windows explorer method to delete a folder, I can go in the recycle bin and restore the folder to its initial state.

When FC's own method for delete operation is used, if I delete a folder, it goes into the recycle bin "in pieces" (don't know how else I can describe it).
It looks like every file and subfolder gets deleted separately and the recycle bin looks like "plain view", so there is no way to restore the folder to its initial state (if there is only one folder deleted, you can select everything in the recycle bin and hit restore, but this would be impossible to do when having many files/folder deleted already).

SETTINGS folder to be deleted:

Using Windows delete method:

Using FC's delete method:

win7x64sp1, FC 650 public, FC 653 x86, FC 653 x64

Anyone confirm, please!?

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Using FC for delete operation

#2 Post by Dreamer » 22.02.2014, 01:41

Confirmed, but I'm not sure if it's a bug. However I'd like to change the behavior too.

FC 6532 (not released) and probably all older versions. Win Vista 32 bit.

H.Seldon

#3 Post by H.Seldon » 22.02.2014, 03:11

Strange. I can't reproduce this. The behavior is the same whether I use Windows or FCXE. In both cases, only the top folder shows in the Recycle Bin. However, I notice that the confirmation popup is the same in both cases. I do have Use FreeCommander checked for Delete, Copy, and Move operations. So, how do I know which method is really being used?

I am using FCXE-x64 6.53, portable on Vista.

Edit: I see the difference. I was deleting from the RMB context menu, which is an explorer menu. So, in both cases, I was using explorer to perform the delete operation. If I use the delete key, or the file/delete menu item, I get the FC dialog window popping up, and the operation is exactly as described by the OP, and confirmed by Dreamer.

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 22.02.2014, 08:36

@Dreamer: It can't be by design! It's a productivity hazard (at least in my case). :)
I wonder if there is any advantage to this way of deleting non-empty folders...

Thank you both for checking this one!

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 22.02.2014, 21:25

joby_toss - I don't understand your question, but I'm using delete without dialog (FC), so I can delete a folder with many sub-folders and files quickly, just click DEL key, operation is started immediately, it's minimized and performing in background, so I don't have to wait for "loading" files.

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss » 22.02.2014, 21:42

Sorry for my ambiguity!
Deleting a folder using the Windows method makes it get deleted as a whole, so in the Recycle Bin there is only one entry (supposing the Bin was empty before) - see my second image posted above.
Deleting a folder using FC's method makes included files and subfolders to get deleted independently, so that the Recycle Bin looks like "structureless view - Ctrl+Alt+B" for the deleted folder - see my last image posted above. Q: is there any advantage to this aspect (FC's method over Windows method)?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 22.02.2014, 21:57

OK, so the answer is:

- for me, none
- for others, perhaps the option to restore files individually?

H.Seldon

#8 Post by H.Seldon » 23.02.2014, 05:21

I agree. Using the Windows method, you can only restore the entire folder, but, using FC method, you can restore individual files/folders from the recycle bin. In any case, it is not a bug. It is merely the difference between FC and Windows methods and I don't believe it should be changed.

joby_toss

#9 Post by joby_toss » 23.02.2014, 09:17

OK, so it's not an advantage for me either. I can't remember a single moment when I wanted to restore only one file from a deleted folder.

If it's the way Marek intended it to work (is it?), I guess this topic should be moved to General Discussion subforum.

But I think new users would expect Windows-like behavior out of the Delete operation, even if it's managed by FC's internals. This behavior should be noted somewhere (wouldn't it be great to have pop-up hints while hovering some of the options in the Settings menu?).

Dreamer
Site Admin

#10 Post by Dreamer » 23.02.2014, 19:24

I think we all agree it's not a bug, so moving this topic to General Discussion.

The current method is used also in other file managers, but I'd prefer the Windows method because...

- deleting items one-by-one can be achieved using plain view, ctrl+a and del
- restoring whole folder using FC method is very complicated, compared to 1-click restore using Win method
- restoring several folders with many files is more complicated - even impossible with hundreds/thousands of files and folders
- finding a file in recycle bin is more complicated than restoring whole folder and using search/filter in FC

Of course, I can use the Win operation for delete to get the Win method, but deleting folders with many sub-items is slow, when I use the FC operation for delete (without confirmation) and option to auto-minimize dialog, operation is performed immediately, it's minimized in background and I can use FC right after pressing a Delete key.

joby_toss

#11 Post by joby_toss » 04.03.2014, 22:09

Marek made an amazing change for this behavior in beta 654:
- Implemented: Plain view button in the "Delete" dialog
So now we get to keep the best of both worlds!
Thank you, sir!

Dreamer
Site Admin

#12 Post by Dreamer » 05.11.2016, 19:10

I just found even a better way, option "Use Vista+ delete method".

This way deleting is fast, folders are moving to bin as are, so it's easy to restore them, but the FC window is used, so it can be minimized and it's possible to work with FC while deleting. No need to change tab and click the button every time.

It's also possible to use the option "Delete to recycle bin (FC) - no dialog", just use Delete with dialog before, once, check the option "Use Vista+ delete method", then it will be saved and it's possible to delete without dialog.
Attachments
Screenshot_11052016_183804.png