Is it possible set hotkey for second program-compare files?

Bugs and issues.
fake

Is it possible set hotkey for second program-compare files?

#1 Post by fake » 11.01.2014, 14:38

Hello everybody. I use 2 programs for compare files.

Winmerge - best free apps for text docs
Vbindiff - the fastest binary compare tool.

I want to use both independently. Filter hasn´t sense for me. First i tried set second program as external viewer with parameters %LeftSel% %RightSel%. It worked but not for packed files. It crashed on path..
If i focus set it in favourite tool it crashed too. The problem is bad parameter. I can´t insert correct parameters %FileCompare1% %FileCompare2%

The main question: Is there possibility to assign a hotkey for second compare program or set correct parameter in favourite tool %FileCompare1% %FileCompare2%

FreeCommander XE 2014 (release 650), Win 7 32-bit / Win 8.1 64-bit

joby_toss

Re: Is it possible set hotkey for second program-compare fil

#2 Post by joby_toss » 11.01.2014, 16:40

Try without parameters and don't forget to set the filter ("*" means any file). Works fine for me.
Default shortcut is Ctrl+Alt+V, but it can be changed.
The order of your 2 comparing programs is important! So is their filters!

Last edited by joby_toss on 11.01.2014, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

fake

#3 Post by fake » 11.01.2014, 19:14

Helo. I know how i can set program or filter. I wanted to ask if there is possibility mark both program with filter "*"
Sometimes i need text diff other time i need binary compare. I need to have prepared both programs. Not only one marked tool...

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 11.01.2014, 20:05

That's why I said that their order and their filters are important.

In your specific case:
- put VBinDiff first in the Compare Files settings window and setup its filter; it will be called with Ctrl+Alt+V shortcut (customizable).
- (this step is needed only if somehow you need different filters for both programs) put WinMerge second and setup its filter; it will not be called by the same shortcut (if the filter matches the one for VBinDiff), that's why you need step 3.
- setup WinMerge as a Favorite Tool and select %ActivSel% as parameter; it will be called with Ctrl+1 shortcut (customizable) (or with Ctrl+Alt+V if the files match the filter).
You're ready.

%ActivSel% works as parameter for VBinDiff, too, so you can setup the other way, too.

fake

#5 Post by fake » 12.01.2014, 12:07

You're wrong, %ActivSel% as parameter works only for 1 panel. If you select item in frst and second panel it fails.

If you want compare files in 1 or 2 panel via favourite tool, nearly correct argument is: "%ActivSel% %InactivSel%" or "%LeftSel% %RightSel%"
It works for files but not for archive!! If i want compare file in archive it crashes.
Because it shows the right path to the file, instead of temporarily path to the unpacked file...

"C:\Desktop\Document.zip\Document.doc" instead of "C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp\Freecommander80\0\Document.doc"

And that's what I´m talking about.

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss » 12.01.2014, 14:21

VBinDiff works fine as a Compare tool, without any parameter: opens 2 files from active panel or 1 from active and one from inactive panel, even if one or both of them is in an archive.

WinMerge works fine as a Favorite tool with %ActivSel%%InactivSel% as parameter, with 2 files from one panel, or one from active and one from inactive panel, but NOT if one or both files are inside archives.

I don't seem to be able to install archive support in WinMerge, so WinMerge doesn't work with files inside archives even if I try to use it as a standalone tool. So I don't think this is FC's fault.

Are you able to open a file inside an archive directly from WinMerge's window? Ctrl+O/Browse?

fake

#7 Post by fake » 12.01.2014, 17:11

Little correct:

VBindiff as well Winmerge works fine as a Compare tool, without any parameter: opens 2 files from active panel or 1 from active and one from inactive panel, even if one or both of them is in an archive.

VBindiff as well Winmerge fine as a Favorite tool with %ActivSel%%InactivSel% as parameter, with 2 files from one panel, or one from active and one from inactive panel, but NOT if one or both files are inside archives.

Any compare program don´t work fine as a Favorite tool with %ActivSel%%InactivSel% as parameter if one or both files are inside archives!

Actually it is FC's fault.

PS: I´m not able to open a file inside an archive directly from WinMerge's. It shows all files in archive.