570 Modified column sort ASC = DESC (FIXED)

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
Scott_Y

570 Modified column sort ASC = DESC (FIXED)

#1 Post by Scott_Y » 17.12.2011, 23:36

In 570 general public release (likewise in 550), the Modified column always sorts from oldest file at top to newest at the bottom, regardless of whether Sorting is set to ASC or DESC. I would like to be able to sort newest files at the top. Thanks!
Last edited by Scott_Y on 20.02.2012, 05:30, edited 1 time in total.

Marek
Author
Author

Re: 570 Modified column sort ASC = DESC

#2 Post by Marek » 19.12.2011, 21:18

Sort on Modified column works OK for me.

Scott_Y

#3 Post by Scott_Y » 19.12.2011, 22:37

I just rechecked, and yes my Modified column sorts oldest files at the top of the list and newest at the bottom, regardless of whether ASC or DESC is set.

I should have added that I am on Win 7 Home Premium x64.

Scott_Y

#4 Post by Scott_Y » 07.01.2012, 04:06

The problem is more general than what I originally reported.

First a bit more background: I am trying to modify the Custom Columns for Details view, which I think came as the default in FC XE. I have not made any other custom column set.

1. Setting column ALIGNMENT to either Left Aligned (<---) or Right Aligned (--->) makes no difference in how any of the columns display; the alignment remains the same as the original default settings (Left Aligned for Name, Modified, and Attributes columns; Right Aligned for Size).

2. Setting column SORTING to either ASC or DESC makes no difference in how the columns display; the sort order remains the same as the original default settings (ASC for Name, Size, and Attributes columns; DESC for Modified).

3. Changing the WIDTH setting does make a difference in how the columns are displayed.

FC XE 570, Win 7 HP x64

Marek
Author
Author

#5 Post by Marek » 09.01.2012, 21:18

1. Setting column ALIGNMENT to either Left Aligned (<---) or Right Aligned (--->) makes no difference in how any of the columns display; the alignment remains the same as the original default settings (Left Aligned for Name, Modified, and Attributes columns; Right Aligned for Size).
It works, but you need to switch (after you changed ALIGNMENT) to view "List" and back to "Details". It is fixed in 573.
2. Setting column SORTING to either ASC or DESC makes no difference in how the columns display; the sort order remains the same as the original default settings (ASC for Name, Size, and Attributes columns; DESC for Modified).
Column SORTING is only initial sorting if you switch from other column. Example:
- you have Details view
- the Name column is sorted
- you click on Modified column caption for sorting
- only now is ASC or DESC from the column definitions used
If you like to change sort order for current sorted column, simply click on the caption again.

Scott_Y

#6 Post by Scott_Y » 10.01.2012, 00:26

Thanks very much for that helpful explanation. Excellent.

So the sorting is not evident immediately after applying the settings, only the width and (from 573) alignment settings are dynamic -- and I had been looking for dynamic change in the display. I think this difference would be good to note in the Help file, when you get to that point.

Scott_Y

#7 Post by Scott_Y » 13.01.2012, 23:39

I think there is still something strange going on with sort order. There are actually two different problems, depending on whether the column is selected by mouse click at the top of the column, or by a Ctrl+Fn shortcut.

First I should state my understanding of how the sort function and sort orders work.
Function: Beginning from some other column, the new sort column will initially follow the order set in Custom Columns.

Orders (from top > bottom of column):
ASC for Name is A > Z
ASC for Size is 1 > 9
ASC for Modified is old > new

Now for the actual orders when selecting a new sort column.
NONE OF THESE IS AFFECTED BY THE SETTING in Custom Columns.

(1) Select column by mouse click
The initial click will sort as ASC for Name and Size, and DESC for Modified, regardless of the setting in Custom Columns.

(2) Select column by a Ctrl+Fn shortcut
First note the order of the current sort column. If it is ASC, then the column selected by hotkey will also be ASC, regardless of the setting in Custom Columns. Conversely if it is DESC, then the column selected by hotkey will also be DESC.

Summary and wishes:
1. The sort order settings in Custom Columns have no effect on the actual behavior.
Wish: This setting should apply when initially selecting a column.

2. The results of selecting a column by click or a Ctrl+Fn shortcut are different.
Wish: Both selection methods should have the same results.

3. Wish: Verify that ASC for Modified is old > new. (The order reported for Modified in (1) is suspicious to me.)

FC XE 570 on Win7/64

Marek
Author
Author

#8 Post by Marek » 20.01.2012, 22:04

Sorting by mouse and by shortcut should be now the same (release 575).

Scott_Y

#9 Post by Scott_Y » 20.01.2012, 23:52

It works perfectly now! Thank you, Marek!