Column Sorting not Global per Pane, FC-XE 0.0.0.598

Bugs and other issues or requests which have been resolved.
skidplate

Column Sorting not Global per Pane, FC-XE 0.0.0.598

#1 Post by skidplate » 23.08.2012, 22:32

In FC-XE 0.0.0.598, I have the following questions about columns:

1. Is there a setting I am overlooking that will cause Column Sorting to apply to all Tabs in the same Panel (just like v2009.02b)? Like 2009.02b, each Pane would sort independently.

2. Is there a setting to cause the column sorting direction arrows be more visible (darker, brighter, colored, larger, something)?

Scott_Y

Re: Column Sorting not Global per Pane, FC-XE 0.0.0.598

#2 Post by Scott_Y » 24.08.2012, 17:01

skidplate wrote:1. Is there a setting I am overlooking that will cause Column Sorting to apply to all Tabs in the same Panel (just like v2009.02b)? Like 2009.02b, each Pane would sort independently.
You could try defining two Column Profiles (from the context menu for the header of the Name column in details view), one for each panel. If you add a new tab, it will inherit the column profile of the tab it was cloned from, so the difference between panes should be maintained.
2. Is there a setting to cause the column sorting direction arrows be more visible (darker, brighter, colored, larger, something)?
Not as far as I know. I agree that the arrow does not contrast much with the background of the column headers.

skidplate

#3 Post by skidplate » 24.08.2012, 22:29

Scott_Y wrote: You could try defining two Column Profiles (from the context menu for the header of the Name column in details view), one for each panel. If you add a new tab, it will inherit the column profile of the tab it was cloned from, so the difference between panes should be maintained.
Thanks for the suggestion Scott_Y. Maybe I’m doing something incorrectly (I don’t really understand column profiles), but the following is what I observe.

While cloned tabs, with a Column Profile, inherit the sorting of the tab copied, and both sort simultaneously when one is resorted, this happens only if the originally sorted column (either tab) is the one resorted. If either tab is subsequently sorted on another column, the other tab does not perform the same sorting, and remains sorted on the original column.

Scott_Y

#4 Post by Scott_Y » 25.08.2012, 03:03

Thanks, skidplate. I haven't dug into this that far before -- I only observed that when I resorted one tab, other tabs were "unexpectedly" resorted as well (I wasn't expecting any linkage at all between tabs). So I made the superficial conclusion that they were linked. And I also mistakenly assumed that the linking was from using the same columns profile.

I just tried what you described, and it works that way for me too -- very interesting! (FC.598, Win7-64.) We should state explicitly here that one tab must be a clone of other -- simply having the same columns profile does not link them.

I suspect that such linkage (synchronizing of sorting) is not by design. For one thing, the very restrictive conditions (must be a clone, only applies to the original sorting column) mean that one must be very careful about setting it up, using it, and remembering which tabs and what column it will work on. And secondly, the results are so limited that one can't really call this functional synchronization. In short, it's too complicated to be useful. Or to say that another way, it quickly becomes unpredictable and therefore useless. Then when some tabs synch and others don't, it is confusing or frustrating.

So this really looks like a bug, and I hereby request that the incidental synching be removed. As it is, it doesn't meet your goal either, skidplate.

Your original post, then, represents a request for the synchronized tab sorting of 2009x to be made available in FC-XE. (I don't remember that feature myself, but Marek will know what you are talking about.) If it is added in the future, I hope it will be optional. Personally, I like tabs to remain in the state I left them, not change behind my back because of something I did in another tab.

skidplate

#5 Post by skidplate » 25.08.2012, 03:34

Scott_Y wrote:Your original post, then, represents a request for the synchronized tab sorting of 2009x to be made available in FC-XE. (I don't remember that feature myself, but Marek will know what you are talking about.) If it is added in the future, I hope it will be optional. Personally, I like tabs to remain in the state I left them, not change behind my back because of something I did in another tab.
Yes, just like 2009x would be really nice :D , and being optional would be even better. 8)

Marek
Author
Author

#6 Post by Marek » 10.09.2012, 22:04

Implemented for the release 599
- new option added: Settings->File/folder list->Sorting - Sort by the same column in all tabs of the panel

skidplate

#7 Post by skidplate » 10.09.2012, 23:13

Marek wrote:Implemented for the release 599
- new option added: Settings->File/folder list->Sorting - Sort by the same column in all tabs of the panel
Thank you ever so much!

skidplate

#8 Post by skidplate » 13.09.2012, 06:08

Marek wrote:Implemented for the release 599
It's working perfectly for me in 599.

Thanks again! :D