Access to network drives unbearably slow

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
Robb

Access to network drives unbearably slow

#1 Post by Robb » 22.04.2015, 11:29

My access to network drives was unbearably slow.

But I switched off 'Show files and folders tooltip'
(Settings -> File/Folder List -> General -> View)
and now its much better.

My proposals:
A) Under 'Show files and folders tooltip' add an suboption:
- Disable for network (UNC and mapped drives).
-or-
B) Split 'Show files and folders tooltip' into 2 options:
- Show files and folders tooltip for local drives
- Show files and folders tooltip for network drives
-or-
C) For network drives let the tooltips load in a background thread or load tooltips only on demand.

ok1

Re: Access to network drives unbearably slow

#2 Post by ok1 » 23.04.2015, 02:00

Do you have Tree view on ? I have found it can make a big difference to startup and also for UNC - see link below
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6549&p=21020&hilit ... ree#p21020

Free4all

#3 Post by Free4all » 24.04.2015, 09:31

It's good that some people are reporting workarounds to the slow FCXE network issue.

Turning off the tree or turning off the tooltips are interesting workarounds.

I have tried both, but unfortunately neither seems to solve the issue.

One way to know if FCXE is stalled is to click on it's title bar. Windows will append a "(Not Responding)" to the title bar text when FCXE has stalled.

One test that FCXE has trouble with is interesting; to recreate the test, create a network folder with 240 subfolders. When I open the parent folder, the tree populates fast, as does the first panel of the contents. But if I try to scroll either the tree or the panel, FCXE stalls. Turning off the tree doesn't help. What's interesting is the speed at which FCXE can populate the tree and the first panel. On my screen, FCXE displays almost 60 items in the tree nearly instantly. Given that 240 folders is just 4 times that amount, I don't know what is actually causing the stall that prevents the user from scrolling the tree. It's like FCXE has the data, but gets involved with some other request causing it to become non-responsive.

ok1

#4 Post by ok1 » 25.04.2015, 09:54

I see FCXE infrequently doing this to me as well on various folders, local and network. It is annoying but I put up with it for the advantages/features that FCXE provides. However it is not doing it to me with some folders that match your description i.e. network sub-folder with lots of sub-folders (600+ in my case). From memory this appeared to be fixed in one of the more recent releases (it might be 687).

Note I am using the 32 bit portable version.

Free4all

#5 Post by Free4all » 25.04.2015, 22:09

ok1 wrote:I see FCXE infrequently doing this to me as well on various folders, local and network. It is annoying but I put up with it for the advantages/features that FCXE provides. However it is not doing it to me with some folders that match your description i.e. network sub-folder with lots of sub-folders (600+ in my case). From memory this appeared to be fixed in one of the more recent releases (it might be 687).

I agree. The advantages/features of FCXE far outweigh any lags. Although sometimes I have to revert to using Windows Explorer if the lags are too distracting.

It's interesting that you mention problems on local folders. I've never had that issue. I wonder if it is some combination of settings that causes these problems. Joby mentioned that he never has any issues, so in another thread I asked him to post his settings so that perhaps we can work together to narrow this down and come up with a solution.

Free4all

#6 Post by Free4all » 04.05.2015, 05:24

Free4all wrote:
ok1 wrote:I see FCXE infrequently doing this to me as well on various folders, local and network. It is annoying but I put up with it for the advantages/features that FCXE provides. However it is not doing it to me with some folders that match your description i.e. network sub-folder with lots of sub-folders (600+ in my case). From memory this appeared to be fixed in one of the more recent releases (it might be 687).

I agree. The advantages/features of FCXE far outweigh any lags. Although sometimes I have to revert to using Windows Explorer if the lags are too distracting.

It's interesting that you mention problems on local folders. I've never had that issue. I wonder if it is some combination of settings that causes these problems. Joby mentioned that he never has any issues, so in another thread I asked him to post his settings so that perhaps we can work together to narrow this down and come up with a solution.
I spoke to soon. I was interacting with some network folders, and then started working with a local folder. The local folder lagged. Never had that happen before. I'm thinking that perhaps interacting with the network folders causes the issue, because when I only work on local folders, I never have a problem. OK1 (username), when you've had issues with local folders, did you access network folders using FCXE shortly beforehand?

ok1

#7 Post by ok1 » 04.05.2015, 12:13

Free4all wrote: I spoke to soon. I was interacting with some network folders, and then started working with a local folder. The local folder lagged. Never had that happen before. I'm thinking that perhaps interacting with the network folders causes the issue, because when I only work on local folders, I never have a problem. OK1 (username), when you've had issues with local folders, did you access network folders using FCXE shortly beforehand?
Fairly sure this is the case. Can't be 100% certain as I cannot reproduce it "on demand".