666 - F5/F6 from MTP device doesn't work

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
dsperber

666 - F5/F6 from MTP device doesn't work

#1 Post by dsperber » 12.07.2014, 15:31

Just testing out the implemented F5/F6 logic now present in donor build 666. Unfortunately it still doesn't work.

Yes, the previous problem where the incorrect file name was populated into the confirmation dialog has been fixed. The dialog now shows the correct FROM file name.

However when I push OK the operation fails with an error 0x80004002.

Note that as before, using the mouse to drag/drop from one pane to the other still works fine.

Marek
Author
Author

Re: 666 - F5/F6 from MTP device doesn't work

#2 Post by Marek » 12.07.2014, 16:36

I have tested with Samsung Tablet (connected per USB) and Windows 8/64 - works fine.

dsperber

#3 Post by dsperber » 12.07.2014, 17:14

I'm using Samsung Galaxy S4 phone, and Win7 Pro x64.

Drivers for MTP connection are from PdaNet+FoxFI product, which allows lots of functionality (including USB tethering so that my phone can serve as a3G/4G internet connection for my laptop via USB cable). These drivers are not from Samsung's Kies product.

But honestly, I don't think it's driver related. As I stated, I can use the mouse to drag/drop the file from upper pane to lower pane and that works fine. It's only when F5/F6 is used to accomplish the same thing that pushing OK fails even though the proper file name is now correctly populated into the confirmation dialog whereas with 665 it was not (i.e. it was what looked like a folder name) and when pushing OK nothing actually happened.

In other words, I think something you've put into 666 to implement F5/F6 from MTP correctly is not quite right for Win7, or perhaps really does conflict with the MTP drivers from PdaNet.

What does that error 0x80004002 mean?

Marek
Author
Author

#4 Post by Marek » 12.07.2014, 21:55

With Samsung Galaxy S3 Phone on Win8/64 works fine too (default drivers).
0x80004002 no interface was found - I work on better message display.

dsperber

#5 Post by dsperber » 13.07.2014, 18:25

What does "no interface was found" mean?

Whether or not you improve the English text shown in the message box, the real issue is the error occurring at all.

Can you try this on a Win7 system, just to confirm that it also still works for you or not? I only have Win7 systems myself, and don't have a Win8 machine to try it on, so I can't confirm that it will or will not work for me on Win8.

I only know it fails with F5/F6 on my Win7 system, while working successfully on the same Win7 system using mouse cursor drag/drop from one pane to the other. You'd think that would suggest the MTP drivers are just fine if they support drag/drop from MTP using that Windows Explorer method.

So what's the deep-down internal difference between your FCXE F5/F6 and Windows Explorer mouse cursor drag/drop?? Why does one work and the other fail? Note that F5/F6 works perfectly for normal drive-letter SOURCE/TARGET panes. It only fails when the SOURCE pane is pointing to an MTP folder. And Windows Explorer works in both situations, no matter whether the SOURCE is MTP or drive-letter.

Would you be able to provide a special "debug version" of the code for me to run, which would present additional debug info especially for you, in order to help chase this down using my Win7 machine where it's for sure failing if you can't replicate the failure on your own machines to chase it in your own lab?

I'll be glad to help in any way I can, as I'd love to be able to use FCXE instead of Windows Explorer to access my S4 phone. Note that Windows Explorer drag/drop from the phone also works perfectly (same is drag/drop works fine with FCXE... it's just F5/F6 that fails). And clearly you wanted to support MTP in FCXE, so we need to get this resolved.

Anybody else following this thread, and running Win7, and have a phone/tablet that connects with MTP they can try this same test with??

Does F5/F6 work for you on Win7, or does it fail for you as it does for me?

Timon

#6 Post by Timon » 14.07.2014, 06:53

In Windows XP SP3 with Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000

If "Use Windows" is set for copy/move/delete operations, then files without problems COULD BE copied TO smartphone, but COULD NOT BE copied FROM it.
If "Use FreeCommander" is set for copy/move/delete operations, then files COULD NOT BE copied TO or FROM smartphone.

dsperber

#7 Post by dsperber » 14.07.2014, 16:51

Timon wrote:In Windows XP SP3 with Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000

If "Use Windows" is set for copy/move/delete operations, then files without problems COULD BE copied TO smartphone, but COULD NOT BE copied FROM it.
If "Use FreeCommander" is set for copy/move/delete operations, then files COULD NOT BE copied TO or FROM smartphone.
Very interesting observation.

I haven't changed any of these three settings, so the default "use Windows" radio buttons are checked.

And I actually never thought to try copying files TO the phone from PC... I'd only been trying to copy pictures FROM the phone to the PC.

Were your experiments just using F5/F6? What happens if you use mouse/cursor drag/drop from and to the phone and also varying the "use Windows" or "use FreeCommander" setting. I'll have to build a truth table results matrix here.

As I'd stated in my original report (and with "use Windows" checked, now that you point out its probably relevance to some degree), using F5/F6 FROM the phone fails with 0x80004002. But using mouse/cursor for drag/drop FROM the phone works fine.

Timon

#8 Post by Timon » 14.07.2014, 19:17

Detailed description in Windows XP SP3 with Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000

Maybe it is important - I always use NC-mode (sticky selection) set to ON.

If "Use Windows" or "Use FreeCommander" is set for copy/move operations:
- if we try to copy or move (F5 or F6) files TO phone we see error message "::{20X04XX0-....}\SID-{10000....} links to inaccessible place. It may be a computer disk or a network resource. Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected ..." (translation may be slightly different from original English Windows message - translated from Russian, but I hope it is clear). Just after that I see error message "Operation canceled by user". Must also note that if we try to copy file with a long name, we see message "Destination file does not support long file names. And suggests a new name in the 8.3 format." But phone without any problems supports long filenames and Explorer copies them without problems.
- if we try to copy or move (F5 or F6) files FROM phone we see error message ""Some selected items can not be copied (or moved)! ::{20X04XX0-....}\SID-{10000....}".
- if we try to copy or move files TO phone with drag & drop, all is fine. And there is no a word about long file names! Everything is copied as is.
- drag & drop FROM phone doesn't work for me (as I see it is blocked)
2 modes for copy/move ("Use Windows" and "Use FreeCommander") have totally the same behavior (in previous post I could miss that in "Use Windows" I usually use mouse, but in "Use FreeCommander" get used to use F5/F6).

No about differences.

If "Use Windows" is set for delete operations:
-if we try to delete any file (F8) on the phone, I see error message "Some selected items can not be deleted! ::{20X04XX0-....}\SID-{10000....}".

If "Use FreeCommander" is set for delete operations:
- if we try to delete any file (F8) on the phone, we see FC XE dialog (Send to Recycle bin or Delete permanently or Wipe files). After we press Run, dialog closes and nothing happens - no files were deleted.

Long time ago I already reported Marek about that problem. I see some changes (it was absolutely ugly before), but it is far from ideal behavior.

In Explorer and Total Commander on the same PC all operations work fine without any problems! But as I see, Total Commander does not show extensions for files on phone! I see them on local disks, but not for the phone. May be because of that F3 and F4 does not work if we try to view or edit files from phone and we see error message "Specified path does not exist" in Total Commander. But doble click or Enter on a file from phone works fine in all managers - FC XE, Explorer and Total Commander.

In FC XE F3 and F4 also does not work if we try to view or edit files from phone and we see error message "File not found ::{20X04XX0-....}\SID-{10000....}"

By the way, Total Commander can create/delete folders on smartphone.
In FC XE if we try to create folder (F7), for example folder 12345, we see error message "::{20X04XX0-....}\SID-{10000....}\12345 System can't find specified path".

If "Use Windows" is set for delete operations:
-if we try to delete any folder (F8) on the phone, I see error message "Some selected items can not be deleted! ::{20X04XX0-....}\SID-{10000....}".

If "Use FreeCommander" is set for delete operations:
- if we try to delete any folder (F8) on the phone, we see FC XE dialog (Send to Recycle bin or Delete permanently or Wipe files). After we press Run, FC XE freezes.

Also as I see, in Total Commander for all copy/move operations TO or FROM smartphone standard Windows progress bars are used.

Marek
Author
Author

#9 Post by Marek » 14.07.2014, 21:11

I can confirm, it does not work on Windows 7.
I will try to check it in details.

dsperber

#10 Post by dsperber » 15.07.2014, 03:26

Timon wrote:Detailed description in Windows XP SP3 with Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000

Maybe it is important - I always use NC-mode (sticky selection) set to ON.

If "Use Windows" or "Use FreeCommander" is set for copy/move operations:
- if we try to copy or move (F5 or F6) files TO phone we see error message "::{20X04XX0-....}\SID-{10000....} links to inaccessible place. It may be a computer disk or a network resource.
Are you running with the latest build 666 donor beta? There was a problem with public beta 665 which populated the confirmation dialog box from F5/F6 with these seeming system folder names rather than the true file names. Marek fixed at least this problem in 666.

But he's now confirmed F5/F6 not working on Win7 even though he says it works on Win8. So now that he can duplicate my problem report it might also explain your WinXP problem.

I'll wait for him to provide the next donor beta version with a supposed fix, before continuing to discuss this problem further.

Timon

#11 Post by Timon » 15.07.2014, 09:22

Yes, I'm running build 666 donor.

Mr-Fly

#12 Post by Mr-Fly » 15.07.2014, 16:31

I have the same problem on Win7 / 32 Bit.
When I connect my iPhone 5s, it is found by the system, I can use it in explorer.
It is shown in FC 666, but if I try to copy, I get this error.
Using FC under: Win10 German (2004+), Server 2016, Server 2019 + Onedrive