665 Synchronize dialog always ignores empty directories

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
maxborn

665 Synchronize dialog always ignores empty directories

#1 Post by maxborn » 05.07.2014, 19:32

I first noticed this on ver. 650. Still in 665 FC igonres empty sub-folders when syncrhonig folders (even if "Empty Folders" is checked).
Example: on the left folder there are a file and an emty folder, on the right thre is nothing.
The Sync dialog after a comapare only show the file (to be copied from left to right, or delet it if "backup right side" is selected). The empty sub-folder dosn't appear in the list at all, and if I make a backup of the right side, the file is deleted from the left, but the sub-folder is still there after synching. Wich meant that in fact the left side is not an exact copy of the right after the sync operation. Seems like a bug to me.

This is the only thing preventing me from completely switch to FreeCommander.

Otherwise, great program. Thanks.
Last edited by maxborn on 10.07.2014, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

dsperber

Re: 665 Synchronize dialog always ignores empty directories

#2 Post by dsperber » 06.07.2014, 07:40

maxborn wrote:I first noticed this on ver. 650. Still in 665 FC igonres empty directories when syncrhonig folders (even if "Empty Folders" is checked).

This is the only thing preventing me from completely switch to FreeCommander.
I've never been concerned with using "compare/sync" capabilities of FC (neither the original FC nor with the new FCXE), although I probably should explore this functionality.

For me, my product of choice for all folder/file compare/sync tasks is Beyond Compare. Not free, but absolutely superb feature-rich tool.

maxborn

#3 Post by maxborn » 14.08.2014, 18:31

OK. I found what's happening. It's not a bug, but a design sedition that make the sync behavior in FC a little counterintuitive.
First: the list of files to sync after a compare doesn’t show the empty directories, but when the sync dialog appear after clicking "synchronize" it says “ Empty folders on the (right/left): 1 (or other number)”.
So the compare operation found them but didn’t display the list of empty folders (I can live with that, but the behavior it’s unlike other orthodox file managers (Total Commander for instance).
Second. Even after selecting “backup of the (left/right)” the options related to the empty folders remain unchanged (copy or delete). They have to be selected by hand to have the empty folders synchronize.
In that sense it seems like a bug, as a backup is usually considered a mirror image.
If you ask me, 1. The empty folders should appear on the compare results, and 2. When selecting backup of the (left/right) on the selected side the empty folder should be “copy” and “delete” on the opposite.
Anyways, now know how to use FC to sync correctly, and as I said before, it’s a great program. Thanks for the hard work. I’m just trying to help making TC better.
Regards.

Marek
Author
Author

#4 Post by Marek » 19.08.2014, 21:37

1. The empty folders should appear on the compare results, and 2. When selecting backup of the (left/right) on the selected side the empty folder should be “copy” and “delete” on the opposite.
Implemented in the release 669.

maxborn

#5 Post by maxborn » 20.08.2014, 01:29

Hi Marek, thanks a lot!
The new feature seems to be working as spected. I'll let you know if I find any problems.
Finally I can switch full time to FreeCommander.
Thanks again.