822 - Tooltip ini option issue

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
Dreamer
Site Admin

822 - Tooltip ini option issue

#1 Post by Dreamer » 13.06.2020, 18:27

I had this issue for some time and couldn't reproduce it, until now.

I had no tooltips in Details and List view for items which are not fully shown.

I found it's the option in the FreeCommander.ini file, probably some old option, which is not in the GUI AFAIK.

ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=0

To fix it just change the value 0 to 1.

Anyway, perhaps also other users have this old ini option in the ini files and have no such tooltips, so perhaps it should be removed, or GUI option should be added, so we could switch it easily.

FC 822, Windows 10 1909.

Odamn-Ete

Re: 822 - Tooltip ini option issue

#2 Post by Odamn-Ete » 17.06.2020, 07:05

The option "ShowTruncatedCaptionHint" doesn't exist in my ini

Odamn-Ete

#3 Post by Odamn-Ete » 18.06.2020, 07:38

Hey Dreamer,

have you tried deleting that option and then checking if your issue with tooltips is resolved?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 18.06.2020, 20:35

I think it would solve the issue, also the option "1" works, the problem is, that GUI option is missing, so if other users have this option in ini too, tooltips will be disabled.

I'm not sure if I added it as ini option, or it was a GUI option earlier and it was removed.

The problem is, that ini options are not listed anywhere (except the topic "not so obvious" settings").

Perhaps it's not a bug, just it's not easy to find those "hidden" ini options.

Odamn-Ete

#5 Post by Odamn-Ete » 19.06.2020, 05:44

Hey Dreamer, in which section did you find the option "ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=0"?

I would like to add it to my ini (=1) to see if it resolves the issue with the tooltips.

Thanks in advance

Dreamer
Site Admin

#6 Post by Dreamer » 19.06.2020, 20:51

It's the [Form] section.

Odamn-Ete

#7 Post by Odamn-Ete » 20.06.2020, 07:46

Thanks Dreamer,

tried it, no change, removed it from my .ini file

Dreamer
Site Admin

#8 Post by Dreamer » 20.06.2020, 15:08

What you mean by "no change"? It should hide the tooltip for truncated name only, with the value 0, show with 1, but you need to disable the GUI tooltip option first. Default option is probably 1, so if it's removed from ini file, it's enabled.

Odamn-Ete

#9 Post by Odamn-Ete » 22.06.2020, 00:59

Dear Dreamer,

sorry if I didn't get it right.
Here is another try:
FC is not running
I entered >ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=0< into my FreeCommander.ini
started FC
the GUI tooltip option was already disabled
No tooltips are displayed at all
closed FC
I changed the value in the .ini file to >ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=1<
Started FC
I activated the GUI tooltip option
closed FC
started FC
tooltips are displayed, and such that the issue you reported here:
http://forum.freecommander.com/viewtopi ... 28b3d5a6ea
was relieved, i.e. the tooltips are moved to the left just like in Windows Explorer so that the whole tooltip is displayed.
closed FC
I changed the value in the .ini file to >ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=0<
started FC
tooltips are displayed but as in your tooltip topic (link above), the issue occurs that tooltips are cutoff.

I am keeping the >ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=1< in my FreeCommander.ini and now have no issues displaying tooltips, even if I move a portion of the FreeCommander GUI past the borders of my display/monitor.

Facit: You are correct, a GUI option to be able to enter >ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=1< into the FreeCommander.ini needs to be implemented.

Best regards and thanks for pointing out this .ini value

Dreamer
Site Admin

#10 Post by Dreamer » 22.06.2020, 19:13

Odamn-Ete wrote: 22.06.2020, 00:59I changed the value in the .ini file to >ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=1<
Started FC
Where you added that ini option? Try to add/move it to second line, right under the [Form] line. GUI tooltip must be disabled.

- If the value is 1, tooltips in 1 line must be shown - but only for items which are not fully shown, as on screenshot from other topic, "..." must be in the name.
- If the value is 0, tooltips in 1 line should not be shown - for items which are not fully shown.
- If the ini option ShowTruncatedCaptionHint= is not in the ini file at all, it works as value 1.

Odamn-Ete

#11 Post by Odamn-Ete » 23.06.2020, 04:50

Dear Dreamer,

If I understand the concept of configuration files correctly, then it should not make a difference where options are located as long as they are in the appropriate section. But because you asked, I did as you requested.

I repeated the steps for the test as described in my previous post above.

Irregardless of the setting <ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=> i.e. 1 or 0, tooltips were ONLY displayed if the option to show tooltips was activated in the GUI.
Also, tooltips where NEVER cutoff.
(This means that
  1. if the option in the GUI to show tooltips was deactivated and the setting in the FreeCommander.ini file was <ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=1>, tooltips were NOT displayed at all.
  2. If the option in the GUI to show tooltips was activated and the setting in the FreeCommander.ini file was <ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=0>, tooltips were displayed AND they were NOT cutoff.)
I placed the option <ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=> where I previously had it, on the last line of the [Form] section
AGAIN, irregardless of the setting <ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=> i.e. 1 or 0, tooltips were ONLY displayed if the option to show tooltips was activated in the GUI.
Also, tooltips where NEVER cutoff.

I have now deleted the option <ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=> from my FreeCommander.ini file and now when the option to show tooltips was activated in the GUI, tooltips where NEVER cutoff!

In light of this test, I now CANNOT CONFIRM the issue in the pertinent thread.
This also makes me believe that Marek needs to look into this. Something very fundamental is going awry. Between these two tests no OS update occurred and no new software had been added nor uninstalled on my machine.

On a side note:
The way I understand it, IF AND ONLY IF <ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=> is a LEGITIMATE option, then it should function as per the results of my previous test above, i.e.
  • Tooltips should only be shown, when the option to do so is activated in the GUI.
  • If <ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=0> is contained in the FreeCommander.ini file, then the tooltips should be cutoff when, for example, the GUI is pulled past the borders of the screen/display.
  • If <ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=1> is contained in the FreeCommander.ini file, then the tooltips should NOT be cutoff when, for example, the GUI is pulled past the borders of the screen/display (i.e. the tooltip should be moved accordingly allowing the complete tooltip to be read).
On the other hand, in my humble opinion, the option <ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=> need not be implemented at all. I would think it best to have the tootips react dynamically to the position of the FC GUI in relationship to the screen/display borders at all times. I cannot imagine a scenario where someone would want the tooltips to be cutoff.

@Marek: Would you be so kind and let me know what the option is and in what section it is to be found in the FreeCommander.ini file, when the option to show tooltips is activated in the FC GUI. Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Dreamer
Site Admin

#12 Post by Dreamer » 23.06.2020, 21:17

Dreamer wrote: 22.06.2020, 19:13Try to add/move it to second line, right under the [Form] line. GUI tooltip must be disabled.

- If the value is 1, tooltips in 1 line must be shown - but only for items which are not fully shown, as on screenshot from other topic, "..." must be in the name.
- If the value is 0, tooltips in 1 line should not be shown - for items which are not fully shown.
- If the ini option ShowTruncatedCaptionHint= is not in the ini file at all, it works as value 1.
To test it, create a new file with a very long name and resize the main FC window to small window, check the screenshot from the other topic again.

BTW This ini option is not about "cut off tooltip", it's to show or hide incomplete item names ("abcd...") only.

Odamn-Ete

#13 Post by Odamn-Ete » 25.06.2020, 03:55

Dear Dreamer,

sorry if I became confused. The topic title is "Tootip ini option issue" but the content of the thread is regarding file name captions of long file names.
You also use the term "tooltip" repeatedly in the thread although you mean file name caption (or whatever it is supposed to be called).

Regarding the option <ShowTruncatedCaptionHint=1>

It has no effect at all. I had it entered at the top of the [Form] section of my FreeCommander.ini file.

See here for screen shots.

I agree with you, file name captions should be aware of screen/display boundaries and respond in the same way as tooltips do, i.e. move so they can be fully read.

Best regards