653 - Copy/move don't work with camera

Discussion and questions - donor version.
AimHere

653 - Copy/move don't work with camera

#1 Post by AimHere » 17.02.2014, 05:34

Hi,

I have a DSLR camera (Nikon) connected via USB. This camera uses MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) for connection to the PC. (This is as opposed to appearing as a mass-storage device, as a USB flash drive would.) I can see the camera in both Windows Explorer and in FCXE. I can also drag-and-drop in either program to copy files off the camera to the hard drive.

HOWEVER, I cannot use the "Copy" or "Move" functions in FCXE to copy/move the files. It doesn't matter whether I do it from a toolbar button or from the "File" menu. With FCXE's Settings set to use "Windows" copy/move dialogs, absolutely nothing happens when I attempt the operation. If FCXE is set to use "FreeCommander" copy/move dialogs, the dialog shows that errors occurred (specifically, "The system cannot find the path specified"), and for the file path it shows a long string of code involving what looks like GUIDs, device ID codes and whatnot.

This also applies to delete operations. I can delete files in Windows Explorer as usual. If I select files in FCXE and try to delete them directly (from toolbar, File menu/Delete, or pressing the Delete key) either nothing happens (FCXE set to Windows delete dialog) OR I get an error similar to above (FCXE set to FeeeCommander delete dialog). But if I right-click and select "Delete" from the context menu, the file is deleted as expected.

The above happens with FCXE 64-bit. If I use FCXE 32-bit instead, right-clicking doesn't even work (but drag-and-drop does). [I imagine this has something to do with the FCXE 64-bit context menu handler.]

It appears FCXE's file operations are not interfacing properly with the Windows MTP drivers. I can still work with the files (via drag-and-drop or right-click context menu), but the other methods need to be looked at.

marruz

Re: 653 - Copy/move don't work with camera

#2 Post by marruz » 24.06.2014, 09:30

I can confirm the same problem with MTP devices. I would like to know if it is due to MTP limitations or whether this can be fixed.

wrbird

#3 Post by wrbird » 24.06.2014, 19:31

Check out this thread to see if it helps.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5992

dsperber

#4 Post by dsperber » 28.06.2014, 23:26

wrbird wrote:Check out this thread to see if it helps.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5992
I can confirm that what Marek suggested on this other thread in fact DOES work!!

In other words:

FreeCommander XE:
- select the 0 drive (Desktop)
- select "Computer"
- now you should see your tablet or phone or camera or other MTP-connected device

However I've discovered that at least for the moment there appears to be a bug in FCXE relating to what appears in the confirmation dialog box for COPY/MOVE (e.g. from F5/F6 to copy/move something from one pane to another) as the supposed existing file name to be copied. I've posted a screenshot for the problem on that other thread.

Currently, the actual file name shown in the SOURCE folder pane is NOT what appears pre-populated in the COPY/MOVE confirmation dialog box, requiring that you manually correct it yourself to be the proper file name and extension before pushing OK. Obviously it should be the file name shown in the SOURCE pane just it is normally is for any other folder on a drive with a Windows drive letter (and also for MSC-connected removable devices). But instead, for an MTP-connected device it appears as what looks like a system-assigned folder name (like a Windows system folder name for drivers, etc.). It's not even shown as a file name, but appears to be a folder name. Obviously incorrect.

I've posted the issue on that other thread. Hope Marek will see it and fix it in an upcoming beta release.