Folder/file list user profile

Discussion and questions - donor version.
rjut

Folder/file list user profile

#1 Post by rjut » 16.06.2020, 11:04

Quite often I need a list of the filenames in a folder to be copy and pasted into another program or for instance an email. I use the folder/file list option to create a txt file with the files in the folder. Then I open the text file in Notepad++ to remove all the unwanted bits to only leave a list of filenames. This works ok but involves a few steps. Recently I stumbled upon an ini file called "FreeCommander.prtf.ini" in the C:\Users\ron\AppData\Local\FreeCommanderXE\Settings folder. This seems to control the folder/file list output. :idea: I created a new profile by copying an existing profile and append to the end of the ini file:

[A1B8473C-BA32-44B2-8FBB-0E8D581D6274]
Name=User_Profile (name without ext)
TargetFolderForOutput=
AddHeaderRow=0
AddFieldNamesRow=0
AddSummaryPerFolder=0
AddTotalSummary=0
DividingLineLength=100
DividingLineChar=-
FixedFieldsType=0
FieldsSeparatorChar=TAB
FolderLineFields=[p_full]
FileLineFields=[n]

The profile ID is a copy from the existing profile, but incremented by 1. So the existing ID is A1B8473C-BA32-44B2-8FBB-0E8D581D6273. I also added this ID to the list of profiles in the ini file

[Profiles]
1=9AB1365B-6032-468A-95BB-4543FFA4B23A
2=A1B8473C-BA32-44B2-8FBB-0E8D581D6273
3=A1B8473C-BA32-44B2-8FBB-0E8D581D6274

Now I can directly generate a list of file names without using Notepadd++ 8)
Because this seems to work ok I created a 4th profile to list filenames including the extension ([ne] in stead of [n]). Again copying the profile ID and increment by one again. In the profile list drop down box I can now select from 4 profiles, the 2 default and my 2 created profiles. Maybe this is of use to somebody else

I have a few questions which I hope somebody can answer:
  • Is it ok to simply increment the existing ID's or does this break something else in FC?
  • Is there a list of all FileLineFields identifiers that can be used ([dm],[dc],[attr],[s_bytes],[n],[ne] etc...)?
FreeCommander XE 2023 Build 894 64-bit donor, Windows 11 Pro 22H2

ralfso

Re: Folder/file list user profile

#2 Post by ralfso » 16.06.2020, 12:43

Not what you asked but an easier way to make a list of the filenames:

Select all files your want
use Menu "Edit" >>> "Copy to clipboard" >>> "Copy full name as text (Alt + Ins)"
or use "Alt + Ins"
or use the "copy to clipboard button" on the right side of the "Address bar-actions toolbar" https://freecommander.com/fchelpxe/en/U ... olbar.html

paste the names everywhere you want.
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

rjut

#3 Post by rjut » 16.06.2020, 21:00

Indeed, this does the same thing but in less steps. Never new this option existed. Just too many options in FC :shock:
Last edited by rjut on 17.06.2020, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
FreeCommander XE 2023 Build 894 64-bit donor, Windows 11 Pro 22H2

dsperber

#4 Post by dsperber » 16.06.2020, 23:23

Another nice way to generate folder/file "list" in a simple text file form that you can then easily edit or manipulate any way you want is to use the TREE command from a DOS prompt. It drills down through the complete folder/file structure from wherever you are currently positioned.

Graphically displays the folder structure of a drive or path.

TREE [drive:][path] [/F] [/A]

/F Display the names of the files in each folder.
/A Use ASCII instead of extended characters.

I use it to generate a complete list of the artist/album structure my music collection, which is all stored in a parent folder named D:\MP3. The folder organization is artist major (directly under D:\MP3) and then album-within-each-artist. Within each album sub-folder are the individual song title files of that album. I coded a simple DOS command named ALBUMS.CMD, which produces a list of the total folder-only structure under D:\MP3 (i.e. no file names are generated, only folders and sub-folders). But with the addition of the /F parameter the generated list would include file names as well, if that was what I wanted.

Code: Select all

@echo off
d:
cd mp3
tree /a >directory.doc
echo Directory list of album folders created
echo.
pause
Adding the >directory.doc operand as the output of the TREE command generates a file named "directory.doc" which can then be opened with WORD and edited nicely for printing, or manipulated however you want. Of course you can also open it as a simple text file with NOTEPAD, Notepad++, etc.

And of course if you didn't have any sub-folders, but only files within the current folder you are positioned at, TREE /A /F would produce a complete a simple list of all the files in the current folder.