SFTP Login with public key authentication

Suggestions and feature requests.
pascal_fleer

SFTP Login with public key authentication

#1 Post by pascal_fleer » 19.03.2019, 13:29

A desired addition to the SFTP connection would be the use of public authentication.
In the connection details, you would provide a file containing the private key corresponding to the public key on the server in the user home directory.
This feature is used for passwordless logins on SSH and SFTP

ihichez

Re: SFTP Login with public key authentication

#2 Post by ihichez » 24.05.2020, 23:06

This request appears to have gone unnoticed for a long time. However, for us who need to work to access SSH servers it is a must have. Almost all SSH servers today require some kind of RSA or SSH public key to allow SFTP access. Thus, implementing this feature (even with .ppk putty key) would be a very welcome development which will make FC the undisputed best of the best file manager in history. In fact, the only thing I miss from the Windows world in Linux is FreeCommander. The closet thing is "muCommander", which can do SFTP with public key authentication out of the box, and "Altap Salamander" which does it through a WinSCP plugin, but both of them lack the power and customization of FreeCommander. The active filter is a feature that no other file manager can match. The middle toolbar is also missing is more dual pane file manager. I am a donor user and became a donor user to be able to use the SFTP feature, only to find that I couldn't use it because of lacking public key authentication. I am happy that I was able to contribute with a donation, I will continue to do so in the future because, even as it is, no other file manager can match the power of FC. The FC developer has managed to create a program which makes managing files in a Windows computer a breeze, I believe that the power FC offers is actually priceless. I would place FC in the league of the greatest tools of computer history such as C language, PuTTY, openSSH, Vim or nVim, ConEmu, cmder, Python, Oh My ZSH! and AutoHotKey as the "must have" programs for all power users and developers. If FC get this feature, we wouldn't have to use any other program to manage files locally and remotely. Thank you, greatly appreciated, Marek.

Marek
Author
Author

#3 Post by Marek » 25.05.2020, 07:47

Could someone provide me test access to the SFTP server with public key authentication?

ihichez

#4 Post by ihichez » 26.05.2020, 19:38

https://www.sftp.net/pu

I used Rebex Tiny SFTP server in the past, simple, but effective.

ihichez

#5 Post by ihichez » 09.06.2020, 21:11

Hi. Will the private/public key authentication implemented in the future? If so, do you have an idea when might you be working on that? Hopefully you can get the time to do it sometime this year, it would be a game changer. Thanks for your excellent work!

Marek
Author
Author

#6 Post by Marek » 09.06.2020, 22:01

Thanks for the Rebex hint.
It is really great for testing.
Public key authentication is implemented for the next release 821.

ihichez

#7 Post by ihichez » 14.07.2020, 05:08

I really appreciate you working to implement this. I will continue to support the donor program and I will encourage my co-workers to do the same as I will be able to demonstrate that FC is all the only tool we need for managing files locally or remotely. Nothing is faster or better either in any operating system. Kudos!

Respectfully.

hamasaki

#8 Post by hamasaki » 09.12.2020, 03:54

Hi Marek,

Can I ask how this works?

Login type > Key file
Key storage type > file

But then how do I select the file?

Karol

#9 Post by Karol » 09.12.2020, 09:07

If you move the mouse over the field "Key name:" you can see the hint: "Define keys under Tools -> Settings ->FTP/SFTP"

hamasaki

#10 Post by hamasaki » 09.12.2020, 15:02

Karol wrote: 09.12.2020, 09:07 If you move the mouse over the field "Key name:" you can see the hint: "Define keys under Tools -> Settings ->FTP/SFTP"
Thanks Karol.