Allow setting file timestamps using image Exif data

Suggestions and feature requests.
Free4all

Allow setting file timestamps using image Exif data

#1 Post by Free4all » 09.08.2020, 05:34

It would be great to be able to set file OS timestamps using an image's Exif timestamp data.

Both for individual files and batches of files would be perfect.

Could even allow setting folder timestamps by using the newest/oldest (user selectable) Exif timestamp of files in the folder.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Allow setting file timestamps using image Exif data

#2 Post by Dreamer » 09.08.2020, 11:04

I'm not sure if it's possible, especially sort folders by EXIF date from files inside.

However, for files it's partly possible, using the column profiles / automatic views, this way you could sort pictures only by EXIF date, more here:

https://freecommander.com/en/faq-column ... lumnsOrder

For folders, perhaps there is a way to rename them by EXIF date automatically, probably not in FC, or manually.

Free4all

#3 Post by Free4all » 10.08.2020, 05:02

I'm actually not looking to sort files in folders for this feature request... I'm looking to actually change their OS timestamps according to the Exif data.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 10.08.2020, 21:49

AFAIK, it's not possible in FC.

Workaround, it's possible in XnView (image viewer, free for non-commercial use), select images, in menu - Tools - Change timestamp, it's possible to change "file date created / modified" by EXIF date taken, modfied, digitized.

Free4all

#5 Post by Free4all » 11.08.2020, 15:35

Dreamer wrote: 10.08.2020, 21:49 AFAIK, it's not possible in FC.
Hence this feature request. :wink:
Dreamer wrote: 10.08.2020, 21:49 Workaround, it's possible in XnView (image viewer, free for non-commercial use), select images, in menu - Tools - Change timestamp, it's possible to change "file date created / modified" by EXIF date taken, modfied, digitized.
Thanks for the workaround tip using XnView. I used XnView quite a bit many years ago, but I haven't used it recently. Is it the Classic version or the MP version that has that functionality?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#6 Post by Dreamer » 11.08.2020, 20:19

FC can read EXIF data/date taken and can write file date, so perhaps it could be added, I'm just not sure, if it's not too complicated to implement.

It was a tip for the Classic version, but both versions have this feature. BTW You can use Search and Browse to get all files you need to change in browser, then you can select them all and change dates for all files at once easily - just test it first with some backed up files.

Free4all

#7 Post by Free4all » 12.08.2020, 12:24

Dreamer wrote: 11.08.2020, 20:19 FC can read EXIF data/date taken and can write file date, so perhaps it could be added, I'm just not sure, if it's not too complicated to implement.
That's what I am thinking as well.
Dreamer wrote: 11.08.2020, 20:19 It was a tip for the Classic version, but both versions have this feature. BTW You can use Search and Browse to get all files you need to change in browser, then you can select them all and change dates for all files at once easily - just test it first with some backed up files.
Thank you again. I remember I stopped using XnView after their MP version was released. Even though I really liked XnView, at the time it was real confusing because there were 2 different programs (Classic and MP) with somewhat different functionality. Years later, it looks like both editions are still being maintained, which surprises me a little, but I'm sure there's a good reason.

Looking on their website, I don't see a good comparison between Classic and MP. Are you aware of one? All I found was this forum thread, on which, almost a decade later, I still see comments like "I wish there were just one program that did everything": https://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic. ... 05#p163695 :shock:

Dreamer
Site Admin

#8 Post by Dreamer » 12.08.2020, 23:54

It's OT, but I'm still using the Classic version, MP version is not exactly the same, but I don't have much time for testing the MP version, Classic version just can everything I need now.

Moreover, for browsing images FC is better and better, EXIF support, renaming by EXIF date, even with profiles...

Free4all

#9 Post by Free4all » 13.08.2020, 06:03

Dreamer wrote: 12.08.2020, 23:54 It's OT, but I'm still using the Classic version, MP version is not exactly the same, but I don't have much time for testing the MP version, Classic version just can everything I need now.

Moreover, for browsing images FC is better and better, EXIF support, renaming by EXIF date, even with profiles...
Thanks. I'm in the same situation as you. Not enough time!

I use FC to browse and manage images, but it's the one thing (and probably the only thing) I don't really like in FC. I'm not sure exactly why, it just feels clunky to me for that purpose. I need to spend more time to see if there is anything else I can configure in FC for better image viewing/management.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#10 Post by Dreamer » 13.08.2020, 21:37

You can use tabs, automatic views - to always use thumbnails view for images, quick view, additional info for images in status bar...