jump to console with tci (multitab console)

Discussion, questions and support.
jagginess

jump to console with tci (multitab console)

#1 Post by jagginess » 30.12.2007, 16:17

if you work with a couple of directories and don't want your screen cluttered with dos boxes, check out tci..(which offers better copy/paste capabilities than ms' console box)
you can call tci from freecommander using the favorite tools box (menu Extra/Favorite Tools/Edit) but need to make a one liner script in a .bat file with
for eg assuming you installed tci to the same path..
"c:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCI2\tci.exe" /r C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k cd /D %CD%

and of course setting %ActivDir% for 'Start Folder' in the fav tool settings

tci also offers itself as a target for drag/drop of text .. so if you don't want to type in long directory names as parameters in the console you can drag and drop them from freecommander (that is drag a folder onto the console window).. something which you can't do with ms' console.. there's also another nice console program called powercmd and can starts conveniently from on a folder's context menu .. it too can capture drag/drop text and does multitabs

if you use the console alot you probably heard of cygwin..unfortunately i haven't been able to call directly into cygwin straight from freecommander.. but can call cygwin once inside a tci tab box.. if you use cygwin are able to do this.. i'd like to know how you did it so that i don't have to type cygwin.bat everytime .. thanks for the feedback folks.. and thank you marek for such a good program.. keep up the good work :)

enkryptor

#2 Post by enkryptor » 30.12.2007, 20:44

unfortunately tci isn't free :(

jagginess

cygwin and freecommander tip

#3 Post by jagginess » 31.12.2007, 01:31

here's a tip for some of you-- it's an open source solution -- (the other one i mention is indeed free powercmd)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/console/ <called console2>

.. there's also a program called screen that i use within cygwin itself which allows many command prompts under the same window (but not relying on showing any windows gui tabs but just cygwin's screen keyboard shortcuts).. running this as well allows me to use the drag/drop feature from freecmmdr and directly into cygwin's program screen-- doing this works with tci and console2

.. if you want multitabs called from freecommander for sourceforge's console2 program it can probably be done.. haven't been able to do so (some of my workstations don't need cygwin and i'd like to know how to do it).. thanks for the feedback :)

.. it would be great if something like this was implemented as a builtin console window with freecommander (alike konqueror, but installing it in cygwin must be really too time consuming unfortunately)

oya updating my previous post.. i finally figured out a way to call cygwin indirectly and show up into a tab..

i made a cw.bat with this:
"
@echo off

SET CDIR=%CD%
cd /D c:\cygwin\bin

bash --login -i

"

and appended this to my c:\cygwin\home\<username>\.bashrc file (use the dos prompt edit or use editpad, not notepad or wordpad for having bash to read file properly)

"
cd $CDIR
"
I also added
"screen"
but this would mean i should only call cygwin once <<-- the drag/drop feature from freecommander can now be used if you want to cd to other directories quickly (another idea which can work is making another batch file for freemander to echo ActivDir to a textfile for cygwin to see, since CDIR can't be updated once in a separate shell environment)

well this was tricky since i don't know anybody from the cygwin team doing this and usually don't mix guis with commandlines.. but now this is a time saver if you need to work with cygwin tools and many long pathnames..

note: if you have problems editing .bashrc with edit.com, try to use obviously one of cygwin's tools such as vi or emacs.. editing dotfiles here works in ms' edit.com vista..

jagginess

jagginess

Re: cygwin and freecommander tip

#4 Post by jagginess » 31.12.2007, 07:39

i'll try not to add too much here.. i discovered if you use edit.com, you'll have to set something for bash to see dos's end of the line.. you can revert to the unix endofline for text files using the tool dos2unix.. (so use vi or emacs to edit .bashrc).. anyways this is getting too tricky so i won't be updating more about this..

jagginess