Double click and edit filename

Discussion, questions and support.
Steve Dudley

Double click and edit filename

#1 Post by Steve Dudley » 28.12.2007, 19:36

Greetings,

I'm new here and I did not find anything on my problem by searching previous posts.

I have FC loaded on several computers. One of the many things I like about it is that when I double-click on a file name (as in missing the little icon), it starts the file instead of editing the file name. I have one computer where it does not work that way.

My question is, is this a setting (and if so where is it) or is it a MSWindows setting, or ...?

Thanks,

Marek
Author
Author

#2 Post by Marek » 28.12.2007, 22:54

The double-click is the same as OPEN from the context menu. Check if you have 'open' item in the context menu for the file. It is rather Windows and not FC problem.

Tech

#3 Post by Tech » 29.12.2007, 16:35

Not really. I understand what he's saying (although I don't use Explorer that way.) Try this in both Explorer and FC:

Navigate to your FC directory.
Click once on ReadMe_fc2007.txt.
Wait 5 seconds. (Yes, count to five.)
Click once on ReadMe_fc2007.txt a second time.

Explorer will make the file name editable. FC will not; it does nothing in this case. I suspect Explorer is a not acting on double-click but on a single click when the target was already the sole (single) selection.

I prefer the FC behavior because too often I wind up in Rename mode in Explorer by accident, but at least now you know what he meant. :lol:

ralfso

#4 Post by ralfso » 29.12.2007, 19:06

Hello,

I can't confirm this behaviour, every filemanager under windows interprets a doubleclick on a file as the main action which is defined for this filetype in the registry. In most cases it is "open".

I've never seen your described behaviour on XP or Vista with FC. A single click on a file always open the filename-edit-mode (whatever if the file is marked before or not).

Please give more information about your OS and FC-configuration. Check the settings in the section "select items" or try to rename the configuration-file "FreeCommander.ini" in your FC-installation-directory while FC is closed (e.g. with Explorer).
FC will start with a new "FreeCommander.ini". Now check the renaming again.
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

Steve Dudley

#5 Post by Steve Dudley » 29.12.2007, 21:47

Thanks for the responses. Tech pretty much nailed it.

It may seem petty, but the locking in to rename thing drives me nuts, and evidently (from the responces) it's not just a setting.

Anyway, all the compters in question are XP SP2 adn FC 2007.05a.

I was going to paste in my FC ini here but it's a little large, but I'll try the delete suggestion.

I think this is the way the program works, but I think it struck me on this (my new) computer because I had not yet set the double-click speed as I have on the others.

thanks all.

[quote="ralfso"]Hello,

I can't confirm this behaviour, every filemanager under windows interprets a doubleclick on a file as the main action which is defined for this filetype in the registry. In most cases it is "open".

I've never seen your described behaviour on XP or Vista with FC. A single click on a file always open the filename-edit-mode (whatever if the file is marked before or not).

Please give more information about your OS and FC-configuration. Check the settings in the section "select items" or try to rename the configuration-file "FreeCommander.ini" in your FC-installation-directory while FC is closed (e.g. with Explorer).
FC will start with a new "FreeCommander.ini". Now check the renaming again.[/quote]

ralfso

#6 Post by ralfso » 30.12.2007, 17:48

note: you should use the actual version of FC 2007/10a (http://www.freecommander.com/fc_downl_en.htm)
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545