New user with some questions.

Discussion, questions and support.
Anthony A

New user with some questions.

#1 Post by Anthony A » 09.08.2008, 07:07

I have been using Explorer2 for a few years now and just started using Free Commander a few days ago and am really liking it. I have read the help file and the Free Commander home page but have a few problems/questions though.

1. I cannot find a button to create a new tab. There is a button for almost everything but that. This makes no sense to me. Creating tabs is a very common thing in a tabbed file manager. Other than a keyboard short cut you must go into the main menu and create a new tab that way. Am I missing something? Is there a reason for this?

2. What is the Go Up Strip and where is it located?

3. I cannot get Free Commander to remember what folder to open the panes in. I have selected "Start with last used folder" in the settings under "Start Program" but it doesn't work for me. The bottom pane opens in the system folder and the top pane opens to the Portable Free Commander folder. How do I get it to open to last used folders?

Edit:

Another problem. I am using Portable Free Commander. I like to use portable apps because I can set it up once than transfer it to other drives or just put it on my computers simply by copying the folder. This works on all portable apps I use except Free Commander. I set up Free Commander the way I like it on my machine but when I copy it to my thumb drive or another machine all my settings are lost. It launches in default format. Everything was copied over including the settings ini file so why is this happening? Obviously Free Commander is not reading from the customized settings ini. What do I need to do?

Thanks

wkrekik

#2 Post by wkrekik » 09.08.2008, 12:38

Two ways to go up:

3. I cannot get Free Commander to remember what folder to open the panes in
May be the source of your problems is that you are using the portable version which is optimized to work on a removable drive not on hard disks.
Try the standard version of freecommander, which is in fact highly portable (copy/paste the installation folder, that's all)

Anthony A

#3 Post by Anthony A » 09.08.2008, 17:17

Posting this so I can have two posts and then I am allowed to post pics which I will do in my next post.
Last edited by Anthony A on 09.08.2008, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony A

#4 Post by Anthony A » 09.08.2008, 17:26

wkrekik wrote:
Two ways to go up:

3. I cannot get Free Commander to remember what folder to open the panes in
May be the source of your problems is that you are using the portable version which is optimized to work on a removable drive not on hard disks.
Try the standard version of freecommander, which is in fact highly portable (copy/paste the installation folder, that's all)
I switched to the Zip version of Free Commander instead of the Portable Apps installer version and everything is fine now with the settings and remembering the panes on close. The Portable Apps version doesn't work right. Even on a thumb drive it lost it's settings on every machine. The Zip version works perfectly now.

As for the "Go Up Strip". I know what the icons do you have pictured. I don't know what the setting "Width Of Go Up Strip" in the Free Commander settings is for. I have changed it to several different values and don't see what changes. Here is a pic of the setting.

Lastly what about a new tab button. It almost seems like some one is trying to make a point by not putting it in. I have never seen a program with tabs not have a new tab button. It's even more strange when you consider the large amount of buttons available in Free Commander.

Over all I really like free Commander and will be using it as my main file manager.

wkrekik

#5 Post by wkrekik » 09.08.2008, 21:27

I don't know what the setting "Width Of Go Up Strip" in the Free Commander settings is for
It's a lateral strip with a "go up" function. In this screenshot 10 pixels value.

wkrekik

#6 Post by wkrekik » 09.08.2008, 21:38

1. I cannot find a button to create a new tab
Double click on the tab row (outside a tab) create a new tab. So the empty part of the tab row works as a large (even if somewhat hiden) icon !

Anthony A

#7 Post by Anthony A » 09.08.2008, 22:17

wkrekik wrote:
1. I cannot find a button to create a new tab
Double click on the tab row (outside a tab) create a new tab. So the empty part of the tab row works as a large (even if somewhat hiden) icon !
That requires that the tab bar be visible at all times even if I only have one tab open. I set it so the tab bar is off when only one tab is open.

Thanks for explaining the Go Up strip I see it now.

wkrekik

#8 Post by wkrekik » 09.08.2008, 23:19

You are right. I think it would be most appropriate to submit your idea in the "features requests" area.
Last edited by wkrekik on 10.08.2008, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony A

#9 Post by Anthony A » 10.08.2008, 00:27

wkrekik wrote:You are right. I think it would be most appropriate to submit your idea in the f"eatures requests" area.
Like I said earlier it seems like someone is trying to make a point by not including a new tab button. It's just so obvious that a tabbed program should have one. Their is no way this was accidentally over looked. It had to be intentional and would have been changed by now if it was going to be. It's actually almost absurd that their isn't one. It's the one obvious flaw in an otherwise excellent program.