3 Issues I'd like to see fixed

Bugs and issues.
Xeinar

3 Issues I'd like to see fixed

#1 Post by Xeinar » 26.07.2014, 17:37

Greetings to everybody, this is my first post. Thanks to the developers for this wonderul replacement for Windows Explorer... I'll never understand why Microsoft decided to make it software more and more unusable.

I'm using FreeCommander for a while now and there are three behaviours I'd like to be fixed (I'm not sure if they are really bugs anyway):
[*] When selecting multiple audio files to open, there is a big lag before they are actually included in the list and played. I've tried and experienced the same with GOM Audio, Winamp and Foobar2000.
[*] When moving/copying/deleting files, the application is unresponsive. I mean, the process goes on, but you can't do anything from the interface; so if you are moving a big amount of files, you have to wait before doing something else. Obviously, there is no way of having more than one move/copy at the same time.
[*] When there is a file with a long name, the active window automatically expand the "name" column, causing all the other columns to shift on the right (out of the screen if the name is very long). If you reshrink the name column, it gets expanded again at the first sort/change done in that folder.

Maybe there are already some solutions for what I'm describing here, in case I'll be happy to receive advices.
By the way, I'm using build 665 on Windows 7 64bit.

Thanks for the support

dsperber

Re: 3 Issues I'd like to see fixed

#2 Post by dsperber » 26.07.2014, 22:20

Xeinar wrote:[*] When there is a file with a long name, the active window automatically expand the "name" column, causing all the other columns to shift on the right (out of the screen if the name is very long). If you reshrink the name column, it gets expanded again at the first sort/change done in that folder.
Do you have "autosize" specified in your column profile settings?

Tools -> Settings -> View -> Column profiles

You should probably see one profile, fc_default_view.

Select that view, and then click on the "hammer" icon in the buttons above the profile name list pane, to get into settings for that default view column profile.

Do you have the "autosize" option checked, or unchecked? I have it un-checked, and I've increased the maximum width of the name column. I can manually spread the columns to meet my tastes.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 27.07.2014, 00:02

[*] When moving/copying/deleting files, the application is unresponsive. I mean, the process goes on, but you can't do anything from the interface; so if you are moving a big amount of files, you have to wait before doing something else. Obviously, there is no way of having more than one move/copy at the same time.
Even if you minimize the copy/move dialog? You can use the option to auto-minimize this dialog and do anything else then. If you mean that you create multiple copy/move dialogs at once, you can use file containers to add all files you want to copy/move and then perform the operation at once, minimize the dialog and do anything you like in the main FC window.

If you still have huge delay / freezing while copying/moving items, then perhaps the problem is in your system.

Marek
Author
Author

#4 Post by Marek » 27.07.2014, 21:45

When moving/copying/deleting files, the application is unresponsive.
It is possible if you use copy and paste operations oder drag&drop with the option "Use blocking transfer...".
You have the possibility to use F5/F6 for copy/move.

Xeinar

#5 Post by Xeinar » 28.07.2014, 20:19

Dear all,

thank you very much for your kind advices. I'm happy to inform you that dsperber and Marek provided me with a straight clue that worked perfectly. It was a matter of fine tuning my installation of Free Commander, indeed.

About the delay in opening audio files, for other reasons I decided to uncheck the flag on Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties in the hard disk property page. It took a while to have the operation performed, but as a side effect now the audio files are opened in a snap of fingers.

So, no bug at all and I hope this thread could help other people who face similar behaviours.

Thanks to all!!