search within RAR archive

Bugs and issues.
deadline

search within RAR archive

#1 Post by deadline » 25.12.2013, 17:33

As I noted in my earlier post (during the Beta period) when I use the FreeCommander XE search engine, it can locate files within ZIP archives, but NOT within RAR archives, or CAB archives.

This kind of search was doable in FreeCommander 2009 because it offered 3 archive boxes (ZIP, RAR, CAB) to be checked.

FreeCommander XE offers only a single box for searching within archives, and, as I say, seems to recognize only ZIP archives.

Is this a simple fix for this? (I should mention that the fixes offered in reply to my earlier message did not help.)

Many thanks.

joby_toss

Re: search within RAR archive

#2 Post by joby_toss » 25.12.2013, 18:35

I'm using Total7zip wcx plugin to handle .rar and .cab archives and there is no problem with searching for files inside them:

deadline

#3 Post by deadline » 25.12.2013, 19:52

Thank you. Where do I find the plugin & how do I install it?

tt

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 25.12.2013, 20:20

What OS are you using? Do you use FC XE portable or did you install it? If you installed it, where?

You can download the plugin here: http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/total7zip.html (just the hyperlink from my previous post).
Extract it.
Look at my screenshot above and go there in your settings.
Click the green cross symbol in top-right and navigate to the extracted plugin.
Click OK and it should work.

deadline

#5 Post by deadline » 25.12.2013, 20:56

joby_toss wrote:What OS are you using? Do you use FC XE portable or did you install it? If you installed it, where?

You can download the plugin here: http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/total7zip.html (just the hyperlink from my previous post).
Extract it.
Look at my screenshot above and go there in your settings.
Click the green cross symbol in top-right and navigate to the extracted plugin.
Click OK and it should work.
Thank you so much for you quick response.

Forgive my laziness--I should have done a websearch before posting my questions. I found the plugin (it took me a while to understand that certain TotalCommander plugins work in FreeCommander), extracted it and installed from the WCX file. Everything is now running as you described--search works within archives, which, as I mentioned, I really depended on in FreeCommander 2009.

Again, thanks.