Getting to my cell phone

Discussion, questions and support.
judyn

Getting to my cell phone

#1 Post by judyn » 01.06.2017, 02:59

I finally upgraded to XE (740) and spent hours on settings... Now it's almost just like I want it, except for one thing. I've been using gasp file explorer to get to my cell phone (MTP). I see that I can get to it with freecommander XE, but...

I prefer single drive letter in tree view. I have a lot of drives and a lot of directories and a lot of files... But with base folder set to drive, I can't see how to get to MTP devices. I found a comment that I can click on "desktop" on the drive bar but that doesn't work for me. I click on the 0 and all looks great for a few seconds and I see my phone under This PC and I get to it -- BUT then it all flies away and I'm sitting in my Desktop directory in Users\Judy on the C drive... I've determined if I turn off auto refresh I can continue to look at "desktop" which shows This PC. So maybe that is my only solution... turning off auto refresh.

The more I look at this the more I think it might be a bug rather than a feature...

If I want to do it not through the "desktop" drive but try to switch to "computer", the only place to set this seems to be to dive into Settings => Tree => Management. Surely I'm missing something? I even tried changing settings and saving a layout, but that isn't save in layouts apparently. I apparently can't set a shortcut key to this setting either.

Judy

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Getting to my cell phone

#2 Post by Dreamer » 01.06.2017, 20:19

Hello Judy, welcome to the FreeCommander forum!

First, please try to upgrade to the latest version (747). This could help to identify the problem:
• Try to reproduce a bug with default settings and without plugins. To do this use these command line parameters (your old setting files will be preserved):

/N /NewIni=FreeCommanderTest.ini /NoPlugins /Lng=English
I can't confirm the problem with refresh, it's a quite strange issue.

If you want a better access to your cell phone, there are several solutions in FC:
- Favorites tree, add the cell phone path to favorites
- Lock the tab with the cell phone path
- Add the cell phone path to Favorite tools and use options: Show in "Menu", "Toolbar", and select the Hotkey, e.g. Ctrl+1

judyn

#3 Post by judyn » 01.06.2017, 22:59

Making it a favorite does work, but it's a little strange. Fortunately I have only one phone... The "name" it gives it is:

::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\\\?\usb#vid_0fca&pid_8032&mi_00#6&2e5b3313&2&0000#{6ac27878-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}

I disconnected and reconnected the phone and it still had that name. I did not reboot and see if it still worked.

I will upgrade and do the test in the next couple of days.

It is strange that Microsoft in their wisdom decided to use the word "desktop" for basically two different things. One is the "super folder" desktop which seems to include everything and the other is the desktop folder in Users. Even with auto refresh off, if I point to The superfolder desktop (Blue box, labeled 0 on the drive bar) and do CTRL/R to refresh, it goes immediately to C drive and Users Desktop folder. WIndows 10.

judyn

#4 Post by judyn » 03.06.2017, 03:51

Dreamer wrote:
• Try to reproduce a bug with default settings and without plugins. To do this use these command line parameters (your old setting files will be preserved):

/
I never ever use any file explorer without tree view... Pretty much useless, IMHO, but "desktop" remains as desktop, being the one with This PC under it, not the Desktop in Users\Username. This PC remains visible and refresh does not flop it into Users.

As soon as I do View - Tree, and do a refresh, the focus goes to the other Desktop -- the one in Users\Username.
In this mode, one can still go to This PC and find the phone even after the focus as moved to Users\Username\Desktop rather than the top level Desktop. And once I'm in the phone directory, refresh doesn't mess things up. Focus stays where I put it, not flopping to Users\Username\Desktop

You should be able to see this. Enter the command you gave me, then go to View Tree. Then do Refresh. What I see is the focus flies away from the "top" Desktop to the Users\Username\Desktop. So even without my complicated setup, you can see the focus change with a refresh.

However, my configuration is not like this, AND I can't seem to get the freecommander with these options to do what mine does. I saved my settings from 740 because I spent over a day configuring freecommander... I have Tree view, One Tree per panel, AND Tree Management DRIVE (among other things of course).

Going back to FreeCommander without the options you specified. Tree is DRIVE (because I like it that way). I click on "desktop" (0) and it is the desktop with the "This PC" in it, which means I can get anywhere, including the phone. But as soon as Refresh happens (either automatically or with the refresh button), it flops to focus on Users\Username\Desktop AND ONLY C DRIVE. Because of the Drive setting.

I'm fine, because I can move fast to get to the phone after clicking on 0. Once the focus is no longer on "desktop" (the "top" desktop, not the desktop in Users\Username) refresh does not cause a problem.

My guess is the two things that are called desktop by Microsoft have caused you a problem. Focus on Desktop (the one that includes everything), Refresh then goes to the OTHER desktop (the one in Users) and IF you are in Drive mode, you've lost This PC and everything else in the OTHER desktop...

If I change Tree Management to "Desktop", a Refresh still goes to Users\Username\Desktop, but it doesn't matter so much because This PC is still there because I'm not in DRIVE mode.

I hope this makes sense... Too many "desktop"s...

Judy

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 03.06.2017, 13:09

OK, I think I understand it a bit more, but I still can't reproduce auto-refresh, I can see the auto-refresh when I click tree Desktop icon (when using tree drive option) - then the Users folder of desktop is in the file list panel, but I can still scroll up in the tree to see also the cell phone.

I'm not sure if auto-refresh when clicking the tree Desktop icon is a bug. Auto refresh without clicking anything might be a bug, but I can't reproduce it. I think the exact steps to reproduce it will be needed. You don't have to reset your current settings, you can use the command line options from the post above, or just install another portable version for the program, just unpack it to another folder and start, you can have multiple FC installations. You can also backup your settings, if you want (menu > Help > About > Paths info > FC data is the path of the folder with all settings).

What exactly would you like - you want to use only the folder tree? What about other suggestions from me? Locking the tab doesn't work good, I'll report it, but the other ways work good, I just checked all, working good the other day after disconnecting the phone, PC restart, reconnecting...

- favorite tree
- favorite tools - toolbar icon/button
- favorite tools - menu item
- favorite tools - keyboard shortcut

You can use the path of "My computer" the same way as "Cell phone" path.

You can also create the shortcut for cell phone on desktop, to access if from "users" folder desktop, as workaround.

judyn

#6 Post by judyn » 03.06.2017, 23:00

Dreamer wrote:OK, I think I understand it a bit more, but I still can't reproduce auto-refresh, I can see the auto-refresh when I click tree Desktop icon (when using tree drive option) - then the Users folder of desktop is in the file list panel, but I can still scroll up in the tree to see also the cell phone.
No, if you are in DRIVE mode you cannot scroll out of the C drive after it has focused on Users\username\Desktop after a refresh.

I'm satisfied with my solution. I can click on "Desktop" and quickly quickly choose "This PC", then the phone and after that refresh causes no issues. I bet it's a "desktop" vs "desktop" issue...

I can also create a favorite, but I've not tested that it works after reboots. I assume it does if all those numbers relate to something inside the phone itself rather than something related to the connection... My phone in favorites is:
::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\\\?\usb#vid_0fca&pid_8032&mi_00#6&2e5b3313&1&0000#{6ac27878-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}

Thanks for your help! I'm very happy with the new filecommaner XE. I tried an earlier version, but wasn't willing to put in the configuration time needed so I kept using the old version for too long. A product with a huge number of configuration options is wonderful, but it takes time to learn what is where and what is possible.

Judy

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 03.06.2017, 23:59

OK, it was possible to scroll up, but now it's not possible, with default settings and just one option changed, probably some other option affect this behavior too.

Regarding the auto-refresh, I still can't reproduce it when I select Desktop using the drive button, address bar drive menu item, or with Shift+0. I can reproduce it only when I left click the Desktop item in the tree or if I'm using up arrow key to select Desktop item in tree.

As I said, cell phone path (MTP) works here after the restart, so it should work for any MTP device.
judyn wrote:Thanks for your help! I'm very happy with the new filecommaner XE. I tried an earlier version, but wasn't willing to put in the configuration time needed so I kept using the old version for too long. A product with a huge number of configuration options is wonderful, but it takes time to learn what is where and what is possible.
You're welcome. Take a look at these useful links...

Online help | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)