Copying folders

Discussion, questions and support.
slate22

Copying folders

#1 Post by slate22 » 04.09.2015, 03:44

Hello. This is my first post here and I joined because I have found a problem, that I am sure can be solved easily, it is just that I lack the know how of the program. I am a trying to back up the folders on my computer to an external harddrive. Each month I add files to the folders on the computer and so I need to also add these files to the hard drive. When I click on the copy with dialog and select a the main folder (that has little subfolders with files in them) and I tell it to copy to a folder of the same name in the hard drive. I also ask of it to skip any files of the same name. In the past this worked wonders and was able to scan the main folder and all the little subfolders to files, skipping over anything that was already there, and saving just anything that was new. For some reason, in the last few months, it instead just copies the whole main folder into the main folder on the hard drive, effectively rewriting all the files again. Is there a setting that has changed or am I doing it wrong? I wish for it to just scan the main folder and all the little subfolders inside of it, looking for anything new, and when it finds anything new, for it to copy it into the external drive. I would appreciate any help that I can get.

All the best, Dvir

Timon

Re: Copying folders

#2 Post by Timon » 04.09.2015, 08:29

In Copy/Move dialog see what is set in "For overwrite decision:" dropbox and what checkboxes are switched on under it for overwrite system/hidden/read only items.

Zorkoff

Re: Copying folders

#3 Post by Zorkoff » 04.09.2015, 15:03

It looks like you are trying to manually do what the Synchronize Folders function was designed to do.

I use Synch to backup files to a Network Attached Storage and other computers on my network. It works great.