Slow access to network locations when tree view is on

Discussion, questions and support.
Donkeyfumbler

Slow access to network locations when tree view is on

#1 Post by Donkeyfumbler » 31.03.2015, 10:26

Hi,

Having read some posts about this issue dating back to 2007, it looks as though it is something that is unlikely now to be fixed but I thought I ought to just say what a shame it is that accessing network locations is so horrifically slow when tree view is on (it is perfectly fine when tree view is off). It's just not practical in a replacement file explorer not to have the tree view though.

I really like the layout and look/feel of FreeCommander but this issue has unfortunately forced me to go back to Multicommander, which although it is not as good in many ways, at least does not have this slow network issue. As network storage becomes cheaper and more popular, I can only see this becoming an issue for an increasing number of other people too.

I appreciate this is a free program and a lot of work has already gone into it so please do not think I am in any way complaining here - just posting feedback and expressing my disappointment that this one fatal flaw will stop me using what is otherwise the best replacement explorer I've yet found (and I've looked at them all now I think).

Cheers.

Free4all

Re: Slow access to network locations when tree view is on

#2 Post by Free4all » 20.04.2015, 10:48

I have been trying to figure out exactly when the FreeCommanderXE stalls with networks. I've done a bunch of testing, and have yet to figure out exactly what conditions cause the problem.

ok1

Re: Slow access to network locations when tree view is on

#3 Post by ok1 » 22.04.2015, 15:27

I have also observed the exact same issue slow UNC and Tree display. My guess it is because it is trying to "browse" 'My network locations'.

At least I have a workaround (as long as I remember to turn off tree view before going to a UNC path :wink: )

edit: Turning off Tree view also makes a big difference to the startup time.
Note I am using donor version 690