Can't understand why more don't use "split horizontal"?

Discussion, questions and support.
dsperber

Can't understand why more don't use "split horizontal"?

#1 Post by dsperber » 06.08.2014, 22:11

Many threads have discussions implying that FC/FCXE users are using a left/right presentation (with panels on left and ride sides of the window) rather than a top/bottom presentation (with over/under panels). The latter is achieved by a simple View -> Split Horizontal (CTRL+H) command.

The over/under presentation allows four sizable panes to utilize maximum space and provide maximum readability, with both tree and details panes (with sizable columns) on both the top and bottom. Four easy-to-see "corners", with drag/drop easily handled between them all.

I've been using over/under presentation (i.e. four panes) ever since the days of WinXP when I was still using Power File Gold (from Canyon software back when, which has since discontinued the product).

Can't imagine trying to struggle with left/right side-by-side presentation when Explorer Tree (and thus four panes) is also wanted. Yes, if only two panes are involved (i.e. details of two folder structures), then side-by-side seems very intuitive and the proper presentation... e.g. when I use Beyond Compare. But when using FC/FCXE, I ALWAYS have Explorer Tree pane active, which implies four panes if in "split screen mode", and for this over/under is (for me, anyway) the only way to fly.
Last edited by Marek on 06.08.2014, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link from the text removed.

Free4all

Re: Can't understand why more don't use "split horizontal"?

#2 Post by Free4all » 01.10.2014, 06:29

+1

I agree with you. I find horizontal mode more useful. I have even made some custom icons to use with it.

I sometimes use single tree mode, and sometimes dual tree mode. They both work very well.

It's amazing how Marek has developed such a flexible tool. Great job Marek!

LauraEss

Re: Can't understand why more don't use "split horizontal"?

#3 Post by LauraEss » 16.10.2014, 06:20

I think perhaps because it's looked upon as a "legacy thing" from old versions of Windows explorer, which had that as well. It has its place. .
Laura Ess