Quickview -- not working for PDFs

Discussion, questions and support.
scottaliso

Quickview -- not working for PDFs

#1 Post by scottaliso » 05.07.2014, 23:30

Just installed XE build 650 and have had same problem since 2009.b -- an older pc running 2009.a works fine where I have under SETTINGS>PROGRAMS created *.pdf linking to PDFXC.exe (PDFX-CHANGE Viewer). With XE and 2009.b, when quickview is selected opens a "File Download" dialog that asks whether to open the file externally with PDFXC.exe. Although PDFXC is strongly prefered as the viewer, for now I would be happy with any viewer that would work within FC as a quick way scroll through pdfs.

dsperber

Re: Quickview -- not working for PDFs

#2 Post by dsperber » 06.07.2014, 06:26

First, you should download the most current public beta for FCXE. It was just posted earlier this week, build 665. Much fixed since the initial build 650.

Also, I have no problem using Quickview panel specifying Adobe Reader 11 as the QuickView viewer program, and the Tools -> Settings -> Programs -> Viewers tab settings:

Works perfectly in the QuickView panel for FCXE build 665.

Are you using Viewers, or External Viewers, to try and launch your PDFXC.exe program?

scottaliso

#3 Post by scottaliso » 07.07.2014, 03:02

Just tried 665 same result -- Using VIEWERS.

dsperber

#4 Post by dsperber » 07.07.2014, 06:09

scottaliso wrote:Just tried 665 same result -- Using VIEWERS.
Have you given the free Adobe Reader XI a try (as I show), for the viewer? Also fail? Or does it work?

What about any other Viewer programs, for other file types? Like JPG (see my ACDSee), DOC (see my WORD), etc.? Do those work for you, or is the whole QuickView panel failing to perform as expected?

All of my other Viewers work fine for me for those other file types, same as PDF works fine.

dsperber

#5 Post by dsperber » 07.07.2014, 06:46

Now I'm puzzled.

I decided to try using the program you specified as PDFXC.exe, which you further describe as "PDFX-CHANGE Viewer". Doing a search, I located what I believe is the program you're referring to... officially named "PDF-XChange Viewer" from Tracker Software. The web site describes TWO products... one "viewer" and a second "editor" (which supersedes "viewer"), but I'm assuming you're talking about the "viewer" (and the free version at that, rather than the Pro version).

Do I have this right?

So I installed this "free viewer", but the installed executable program name is NOT the PDFXC.exe name you've mentioned. Instead, it is PDFXCview.exe.

And that means the FCXE setup for Viewers now looks like this, to specify this PDFXCview.exe program:

And with this setup, the QuickView panel in FCXE once again works perfectly... same is it did for me using Adobe Reader XI previously.

Are you sure your PDFXC.exe program you're trying to run is actually the INSTALLED EXECUTABLE PROGRAM NAME from the installed program files directory?? Or are you using a "downloaded installer file" from some other software-provider site, which of course would be wrong to be using in FCXE QuickView?

wrbird

#6 Post by wrbird » 15.07.2014, 16:54

I too, for years use PDFXCview.exe as my viewer (it's actually an editor also, but that's a long story) and it works great with FCXE. If you continue to have problems let me know.