FC-Copy or FC-Move Problem

Discussion, questions and support.
GregT

FC-Copy or FC-Move Problem

#1 Post by GregT » 26.03.2014, 21:35

If I use FC-Copy/FC-Move command in the toolbar the FC Copy/Move window opens for a second then closes with a small error window stating "Unable to create directory". If I use Win-Copy/Win-Move there is no problem. Any info on this?
GregT Win10 Pro x64 FC 8.40

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: FC-Copy or FC-Move Problem

#2 Post by Dreamer » 27.03.2014, 02:16

More info please, FC version, OS...

If the program is installed in "Program files" directory, try to install/move it to another directory, if possible also to another drive.

GregT

#3 Post by GregT » 29.03.2014, 14:53

FC XE Build 650. My OS is in my signature. This function was working but lately have received the error.
GregT Win10 Pro x64 FC 8.40

Amplifiction

#4 Post by Amplifiction » 16.08.2014, 12:52

I can report the same problem, and more. It might be hard to reproduce this error, as I have observed it only occurs under specific circumstances.

General system info:
  • Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64x. (All updates installed.)
  • FreeCommander XE 2014 build 650.
  • I have installed FC to my C and (afterwards) to my D partitions. (Windows is installed to C.) This does not seem to affect the issue.
If all file operations (Delete, Copy and Move) are set to use the FC dialog instead of the Windows default:
  • Delete operations are successfully replaced (FC instead of Windows) and work. Pressing Del on my keyboard or using any of the Delete buttons within FC spawn the FC delete dialog.
  • Copy and move operations are never successfully replaced.
    Using ctrl+c/x and ctrl+v spawns the Windows move dialog. (Where I would expect the FC dialog.)
    Using the FC copy or move buttons (top of the screen) immediately spawns the error GregT reported. ("Unable to create directory.") This occurs before attempting to paste.
    Using the "Copy/Move with dialog" buttons (F5/F6, bottom of screen) works, but spawns the Windows dialog when pasting.
However, in the same session (so without closing FC), after setting the file operations back to Windows default and then back to FC, the error no longer occurs. None of the copy or move commands (ctrl+c/x, top buttons, bottom buttons) spawn the FC dialog, however. They all spawn the Windows standard dialog.

dsperber

#5 Post by dsperber » 16.08.2014, 13:12

If you are still using build 650, please try installing the latest public beta version 665.

Does the problem still exist when using version 665?

Amplifiction

#6 Post by Amplifiction » 17.08.2014, 15:10

dsperber wrote:If you are still using build 650, please try installing the latest public beta version 665.

Does the problem still exist when using version 665?
Installed build 665 to C partition. Set all operations to use FC dialog.

Replacement remains unsuccessful:
  • Ctrl+c, ctrl+v spawns Windows dialog.
  • So does right click copy, right click paste.
On the bright side, bottom buttons "F5/F6 Copy/Move with dialog" work! They no longer generate the reported error.

Another observation: selecting a folder in the folder three and clicking one of those bottom buttons does nothing. (No dialog, no error.) I assume this is unintended.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 17.08.2014, 21:12

Amplifiction wrote:
  • Ctrl+c, ctrl+v spawns Windows dialog.
  • So does right click copy, right click paste.
This is a normal behavior, it's not a bug, it's not implemented, don't know if it's planned in the future. You can use F5/F6 keys, copy/move splitter bar buttons, if you want FC dialogs.
Amplifiction wrote:Another observation: selecting a folder in the folder three and clicking one of those bottom buttons does nothing. (No dialog, no error.) I assume this is unintended.
I'm not sure about it, I don't use the tree, but I think it's normal - not sure if also correct...