Slow to open .... then unable to use for 10 seconds.

Discussion, questions and support.
fcny

Slow to open .... then unable to use for 10 seconds.

#1 Post by fcny » 31.07.2020, 17:03

I use version "XE 2020 Build 810a 32-bit public" on a 64 bit Pro Windows 10 system.

I normally run with just one tab, the file directory tree, and one file view pane (showing details). I am not showing file/directory sizes. My system has two FLASH drives, and I have NO network. When I open Freecommander for the very first time after boot up, it takes a longgg time. Then after opening, there is another ~10 seconds before I can access any of its features.

My system's auto-defrag option is enabled.

The opening directory has perhaps 40 files, and the directlry tree has about 30 items.

I can themn close and re-open and it will be a little faster. THIS DOES NOT CONTINUE though. Later in the day I can close and re-open and ..... were back to a delay in opening.

I get the impression there is some sort of cache of information that is beign built up that becomes unbearable for the program to handle. If I knew where/what that was, I might clear it every other week.

m-a-r-k

Re: Slow to open .... then unable to use for 10 seconds.

#2 Post by m-a-r-k » 31.07.2020, 19:48

In Settings...View...File/Folder List, under Icons tab try experimenting with Registered rather than Extracted for all your drives.
I know it helped here with my Network drives.

fcny

Re: Slow to open .... then unable to use for 10 seconds.

#3 Post by fcny » 04.08.2020, 02:38

They were all registered but one. I timed the startup before changing that and after ... it did not change.

Thanks though. I'm leaning toward a full uninstall ... btu my assumption is that would still leave FreeCommander in the registery. I'm nto sure where the problem is ... but I'm re-examining Windows Explorer :)